Question 2080 fans ramps up to max speed whenever gpu hits 70 degrees celcius

josh.springer24

Honorable
Nov 4, 2017
Whenever I'm in a more gpu intense game and my gpu hits 70 degrees Celsius the fans go crazy then slow down for a few seconds once it goes below 70. It will just continue this cycle while I'm in the game. I feel like I've tried every solution I've looked up but nothing seems to be working, it also just seems to ignore any fan curve I set.

pc specs:

• Gpu: Evga 2080
  • CPU: amd 5600x
  • Ram: 2x6 corsair dominator platinum ddr4 3000mhz
  • motherboard: MSI MPG B550 gaming plus

Let me know if there is any other information that would be helpful.

Whenever I'm in a more gpu intense game and my gpu hits 70 degrees Celsius the fans go crazy then slow down for a few seconds once it goes below 70. It will just continue this cycle while I'm in the game. I feel like I've tried every solution I've looked up but nothing seems to be working, it also just seems to ignore any fan curve I set.

pc specs:

https://forums.evga.com/m/tm.aspx?m=2858793&p=1

Bios update for EVGA cards

ThraxInDistress

Prominent
Jan 15, 2022

pc specs:

Actually this is pretty normal. This is most likely the factory default that EVGA set for its thermal limits. 70 degrees is a bit toasty and its not uncommon to see GPUs want to get cooler as soon as possible. Also it can be caused by a manually set Target Temp.

You could try setting the Target Temp in MSI afterburner to 85 degrees. See if that changes the erratic behavior.

Or if thats not the case, I fear it may have to do something with the memory modules overheating. The thermal pads maybe shot. When memory modules overheat, it is very normal for the GPU to bypass all software and go to survival mode. I do hope this isnt the case as youll need to open the GPU to inspect the thermal pads.

Best of Luck!

Reactions: josh.springer24