2080 high fps really bad micro stutters, have tried alot 144 hz monitor

jackcornblatt

Proper
Feb 6, 2019
Hi so my past two builds have had really bad stuttering going on and i dont know why

I switched 2080 and replaced it with a new 2080 and still the same problems so not gpu
cleared GPU drivers and reinstalled drivers
got a diagnosis at micro center they couldn't figure it out
reinstalled windows
edit control panel settings
windows tweaker turning security settings off
tried vsync

Once i fixed the problem for 3 days, i realised that adaptive sync was turned on on my monitor so i turned it off and it was very smooth. 3 days later it went back to being laggy not smooth and also had input delay. I tried turning setting off and on but no luck

CPU:8700k
MB: Asus Z390e
GPU: EVGA 2080 XC ULTRA
RAM: 3200mhz corsair RGB PRO 16 GB 2x8
SSD Samsung 860 Evo
Monitor: Asus mg248q
power supply: 750 gold evga

please help this has been going on for months and i am so frustrated

jackcornblatt

Proper
Feb 6, 2019

ive already tried all of those things and its not even micro stutter now its reallly really bad stutter it feels like 20 fps and im not exaggerating

jackcornblatt

Proper
Feb 6, 2019

well heres the thing, when i got the computer i noticed it wasnt smooth and tried messing with settings, i got a replacement card and it was still their but right now it feels like 20 fps. i restored windows i think or reset the pc

Last edited by a moderator:

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador

ok, if you did a restore/refresh from within windows, then that is not a reinstall.

A reinstall requires you to wipe the hard drive and install fresh using a bootable flash drive you create using the Windows Media Creation Tool.

Last edited by a moderator:

jackcornblatt

Proper
Feb 6, 2019

I just need to boot from stick then format drive yes? what is the command for formatting drive also i have to go to act tuttoring and i will be back in about a hour, i appreciate you helping me

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
ok, I'm going to give you the instructions right here for doing this.

You said you have and SSD but didn't list and HDD, so I'm going to assume that the only drive in your computer is the SSD.
But I will put a note later on in this tutorial regarding any additional drives.

First, you need a flash drive that is at least 8GB in size.
Next, any data that is on the flash drive that you want to keep needs to be backed up somewhere, if all you have is the one SSD then backup to the cloud, do the same for any important files currently on you computer.

Now, download the Windows Media Creation Tool from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

once downloaded, open the start menu and type CMD, right click on command prompt and run it as administrator.

Once command prompt is open as administrator type the following commands and press the ENTER key after each command.

Diskpart

List Disk

Select Disk # (where # is the number corresponding to the flash drive)

Clean

Create Partition Primary

Select Partition 1

Active

Format Quick FS=FAT32

once it's done formatting the flash drive, open the media creation tool, select the flash drive and then select which version of Windows 10 you want to make bootable.

After you do this, open the start menu, click on power, and shutdown the PC.
If you have any additional drives in your system besides the SSD, then click the power switch on the PSU and open the PC and unplug the sata cable to all additional drives leaving only the SSD plugged in.

Now, turn the computer back on and at the post screen press the corresponding keyboard key for boot options (usually this is the F8 key)

Once inside boot options, select the USB flash drive.

This will load you into the Windows installation screen from the flash drive.

Select Install, then Custom Install, then (since the only drive that should be in your PC at this point is the SSD) select each of the partitions and click the Delete option below until you are left with a single blank drive and partition.

Now select this new blank option and click on Install/Next and sit back and wait for Windows to do it's thing.

Once you get dropped off at the desktop, go perform Windows updates restarting the PC when it tells you to and checking for more updates repeating the process of checking for updates until it tells you there are no more updates to get.

From here you can proceed to install programs and games and drivers as normal.

jackcornblatt

Proper
Feb 6, 2019

Ok thanks I am coming home but when I format drive I do it when choosing where to install windows right, like after booting from usb

Also I have a hard drives with power and sata all plugged in but I have not partioned the drive it’s just sitting in their

oh wait i just saw something that i missed so you said format the usb stick? didnt know u could do that and also wouldnt that take media creation tool off of it

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
no. you do that specific process to not only format the usb stick, but to clean it so that you remove the risk of running into an error of some kind when making it bootable.

You do this before you use the media creation tool to make it bootable.

Then proceed to boot from the drive when turning on your PC so that you load into the installer.

Then you wipe the main drive you want to install the OS onto.

Best to remove any additional drives, just in case windows installer decides it wants to install partitions or boot manager to it. Just have only the SSD plugged into the PC so that the installer will do everything on just the SSD.

jackcornblatt

Proper
Feb 6, 2019

ok i understand and can i install a lan driver on usb stick after media creation tool so i can have acces to internet for other drives and what are drives that i need
i know i need
GPU
Chipset
SATA
LAN

anything im missing?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Windows will automatically install all needed generic drivers for hardware on your PC to get you started, this includes Wi-Fi, LAN, SATA, etc. etc.

From there, you should have no problem just connecting the PC to the internet and downloading and installing specific drivers right from that PC.

For specific drivers for your device, you should head over to the support page of your exact motherboard which you said was an ASUS Z390e.
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z390-E-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/
Go here and choose 64 bit as your OS and download all the drivers you feel you need.
Do this with Chrome browser since firefox doesn't seem to want to load the page properly.
Microsoft Edge works too.

Of course you get your Nvidia drivers from Nvidia.
Go here if you just want the drivers
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/142225/en-us

Go here if you also want GeForce Experience to be installed with it
https://www.geforce.com/drivers

I would say also for gaming, you should just manually install DirectX and VC++

Install DX first before installing the VC++ AiO

DirectX SDK
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6812

Visual C++ Redistributable All In One
http://m.majorgeeks.com/files/details/visual_c_runtime_installer.html

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Can put files on usb after it's been made bootable, it wont disrupt it.

Just put the lan driver on there as to not take too much space and also gives you the ability to download rest of the drivers after Windows and lan driver installed.

Edit, i would put lan driver on usb *just in case* Windows 10 doesn't have the driver since z390 is new.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
yes, as boju says, if you want to put any files on the flash drive AFTER you made it bootable, just drag and drop them on there like it's a normal drive.
you just don't want to do it before you make it bootable because the media creation tool does it's own formatting on the drive and it will get deleted.
So do it afterwards.

jackcornblatt

Proper
Feb 6, 2019

Ok so first off before i do this how do i properly clean and wipe ssd and partition drive and i will not be using hard drive anymore since it is old any ways i dont need it

for VC++ i dont know what that is how do i install it, i thought direct x downloaded when u got any nividia drivers

again thank you guys for helping me appreicate soooo much

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
you wipe the SSD and install to it with the windows installer that you load up off the USB at PC startup.

You need Visual C++ for nearly any game made in the past 15 years.

No, nvidia drivers are just that. Drivers for your Nvidia product a.k.a the GPU. They don't give you DirectX files. That is something you install yourself from Microsoft.

Normally, the necessary and required DX and VC++ files for the specific game you install from steam will be installed with it by the steam client, however, this doesn't always happen when it should, or doesn't do it right.

Also, there are plenty of games that you can and I'm sure get from places other than Steam.

In general, it's just best to have the full SDK for DX and the AiO installed so that you already have every single DX version and every single VC++ version installed for maximum compatibility that way you don't have to worry about installing a game and then running into any issues that would involve not having the right version of either of those things installed to run it.

And my tutorial above is in chronological order.
If you follow the steps one at a time, you'll get to each part the way you should and you will see what I'm talking about.
Again, you don't need to know what weird thing to do for wiping the SSD.

I specifically stated that in the tutorial, once you get to custom install, you will see your drive and all it's partitions in a list.
And I specifically stated that you need to select each one at a time and click the "Delete" option at the bottom to delete it and do this for all partitions until you are left with a single blank unformatted drive.

jackcornblatt

Proper
Feb 6, 2019

ok sorry didnt see that but i will go and re download windows, you are the man i appreciate this so much and i am fairly sure that i installed windows wrong and didnt do what you said. i will check back here when i have everything done. THANK YOU

jackcornblatt

Proper
Feb 6, 2019

Hey so i saw this setup option in my usb stick for windows is it bad that i didnt click that before installing