2080 high fps really bad micro stutters, have tried alot 144 hz monitor

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jackcornblatt

Proper
Feb 6, 2019
Hi so my past two builds have had really bad stuttering going on and i dont know why

I switched 2080 and replaced it with a new 2080 and still the same problems so not gpu
cleared GPU drivers and reinstalled drivers
got a diagnosis at micro center they couldn't figure it out
reinstalled windows
edit control panel settings
windows tweaker turning security settings off
tried vsync

Once i fixed the problem for 3 days, i realised that adaptive sync was turned on on my monitor so i turned it off and it was very smooth. 3 days later it went back to being laggy not smooth and also had input delay. I tried turning setting off and on but no luck

CPU:8700k
MB: Asus Z390e
GPU: EVGA 2080 XC ULTRA
RAM: 3200mhz corsair RGB PRO 16 GB 2x8
SSD Samsung 860 Evo
Monitor: Asus mg248q
power supply: 750 gold evga

please help this has been going on for months and i am so frustrated

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Watch these guides.

How to setup usb.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLfnuE1unS8"][/video]

How to install from usb.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uRT-bWE2EQ"][/video]

Some steps you've done already so fast forward if your confident.

jackcornblatt

Proper
Feb 6, 2019

thank you so much this help alot, im still getting a little bit of stutter but it alot better, do you know anything i can do to make it better, all settings for nividia are changed like the game feels kind of slow and heavy where before it felt very fast

jackcornblatt

Proper
Feb 6, 2019

Sorry I meant I changed them to correct settings that are best for performance and like highest refresh rate available, not sure why but still feeling a little

jackcornblatt

Proper
Feb 6, 2019

Also I tried adaptive sync on my monitor and same thing, should I try adaptive sync with other v syncs

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Im wondering if this is to do with added Gsync support on Freesync monitor's? Possibly.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg2G1I7-fqQ"][/video]

Watch from 3mins.

Edit as said by Simply, need Displayport for this to work as the guy in the video instructs.

jackcornblatt

Proper
Feb 6, 2019

sometimes its smooth and sometimes i will still get micro stutter but also i have like screen flickering

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Also for freesync/gsync to work you need to be inside the range. Think between 40 and 144fps. If frames go over 144fps then it'll be out of sync range and can cause screen tear and micro stutters. Vsync is usually helpful to limit fps if games you play can easily exceed. I go one step further to limit fps to 143 just to be sure im not at the maximum limit. I use Gsync monitor though but should be the same deal for you.

jackcornblatt

Proper
Feb 6, 2019

could limitnig fps in fortnite do it? also i play on a strechted res of 1153 by 1080