2080 high fps really bad micro stutters, have tried alot 144 hz monitor

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jackcornblatt

Proper
Feb 6, 2019
Hi so my past two builds have had really bad stuttering going on and i dont know why

I switched 2080 and replaced it with a new 2080 and still the same problems so not gpu
cleared GPU drivers and reinstalled drivers
got a diagnosis at micro center they couldn't figure it out
reinstalled windows
edit control panel settings
windows tweaker turning security settings off
tried vsync

Once i fixed the problem for 3 days, i realised that adaptive sync was turned on on my monitor so i turned it off and it was very smooth. 3 days later it went back to being laggy not smooth and also had input delay. I tried turning setting off and on but no luck

CPU:8700k
MB: Asus Z390e
GPU: EVGA 2080 XC ULTRA
RAM: 3200mhz corsair RGB PRO 16 GB 2x8
SSD Samsung 860 Evo
Monitor: Asus mg248q
power supply: 750 gold evga

please help this has been going on for months and i am so frustrated

jackcornblatt

Proper
Feb 6, 2019

I’ve already downloaded those

jackcornblatt

Proper
Feb 6, 2019
MERGED QUESTION
Question from jackcornblatt : "Pc not performing at best and also stutters"

Hi so i think i may have found the problem, ive been having stutters for so long now and realized that my gpu and cpu usage never go above 50 percent when gaming. Anyone know what is causing this or any other tips, thanks

CPU:8700k
MB: Asus Z390e
GPU: EVGA 2080 XC ULTRA
RAM: 3200mhz corsair RGB PRO 16 GB 2x8
SSD Samsung 860 Evo
Monitor: Asus mg248q
power supply: 750 gold evga

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
We've tried all the usual stuff.
Only thing I can think of to try and narrow down the problem between it being either software or hardware is to do a clean install of windows.

However, it's hard to understand what you are experiencing since we cannot see it for ourselves.

A lot of people call screen tearing stutter, and they also call lag spikes stutter as well but they are wrong.

Since we cannot see what you are seeing we cannot accurately determine exactly what it is and cannot know exactly what the cause is.

Stutter itself is something that is more like tiny little hiccups. And this is usually caused by overloaded CPU.

You say you play the game at low graphic settings to get super high fps "like the pros" but that is not always a good idea, especially if you have a lower end CPU in comparison to your GPU.

When you have a GPU that is more powerful than the CPU, you need to increase graphic settings to the point where the GPU is under a heavy enough load that the CPU has to wait for the GPU to do it's job before the CPU can do it's job. This will result in lower CPU usage which removes micro stutters caused by an overloaded CPU.

jackcornblatt

Proper
Feb 6, 2019

hmm i mean i have a 8700k do you think that is not a good pair with 2080? i can try putting settings up but do you know why usage is always under 40 percent when gaming??

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
In regards to your GPU and CPU being at 50%, Depends, CPU usage seems normal.
And while the GPU having lower usage than it normally should would be concerning, you say you run the game at really low settings which would cause the 2080 to not even break a sweat.

But if you bumped up the graphics to max settings at 1080p, does it still say GPU usage is 50%?
What are you using to monitor that? Is it RivaTuner/Afterburner?

jackcornblatt

Proper
Feb 6, 2019

so i actually fixed a alot of the lag by instaslling an older driver but still for other games am still feeling it, ive been just using task manager to monitor it i can install afterburner and check again when i come home but also how to i reset over clock for cpu couz i used this program for my mobo and everytime i start up computer it saysd overclock 27% in the ASUS screen and it is overclocked a good amount and i want to reset it

jackcornblatt

Proper
Feb 6, 2019

Remember whe did a clean install and the overclock is still in place

jackcornblatt

Proper
Feb 6, 2019

You have any idea how to undo overclock and make the cpu and gpu work more

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
You should never use software to overclock.

It's just not reliable enough.

The reason you still have overclock after clean install is because overclocking is done in the BIOS of the motherboard.

When you use software to overclock, that software is just force changing BIOS settings for you.
But that is not always safe or reliable.
So that is why you shouldn't use software to overclock and should always just do the overclock manually in the BIOS.

If you want to reset your CPU back to default, just go into the BIOS and reset the BIOS back to default settings.

jackcornblatt

Proper
Feb 6, 2019

i uninstalled ai suite 3 and then reset to default settings but in task manager im still at 4.3 ghz instead of 3.7
well shit now my game is kind of laggy and feels like super heavy and not fast idk how to describe it

boju

Titan
Ambassador
3.7GHz is base clock. 4.3GHz turbo speed when all 6cores are used. This is normal.

https://ark.intel.com/products/126684/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-4-70-GHz-

Scroll down to frequencies to see speeds at different core utilisation.

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i7/i7-8700k

If there have been settings changed in the bios either manually or software i suggest you go into the bios. Restart Pc and hit delete to enter bios. Once there click the exit button and choose load bios defaults.

Don't use tweaking or driver software.

jackcornblatt

Proper
Feb 6, 2019

ive already reset to defaults and it is still 4.3 ghz

jackcornblatt

Proper
Feb 6, 2019

i mean i guess i just want to unclock my cpu so it is at 3.7 everytime i start it up on the asus logo it says 27% over clock and my speed in task manager is 4.3 ghz

UPDATE: also only have 4.2 gb of memory in use when there is 11.7 gb available, idk if this means anything but 9 gb cached

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Link to your manual, see chapter 3 page 16 & 17

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/ROG_STRIX_Z390-E_GAMING/E14841_ROG_STRIX_Z390-E_GAMING_UM_V2_WEB.pdf

In the Bios there are two items

Intel(R) SpeedStep(tm) & Turbo, which you can enable/disable. Both enabled by default.

Intel(R) SpeedStep(tm) allows Windows to dynamically adjust frequency and voltages. This feature is nullified if you if you have Window's power plans set to performance instead of balanced where cpu will always be at maximum speed.

Turbo is the feature that automatically overclocks the processor. Disabling it will force cpu to run at base clock. Speedstep will have no use.

---

Check temps with Hwinfo or Core temp.

Hwinfo:
https://www.hwinfo.com/

Core temp:
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6979-core-temp.html

If your processor was overheating it will throttle causing the cpu speed to decrease. So you should be monitoring temps & cpu speed while playing a game to determine if it is heat related. If your cpu's temp is in the 90s there is a problem.

---

Are you 100% sure your monitor is operating at 144Hz? Usually need to set it yourself after installing video driver for the first time. Default is 60Hz until it is changed either in Windows > Resolution > Monitor Or NvidiaCP.

jackcornblatt

Proper
Feb 6, 2019

ok thanks yea montior is def set to 144 and in cp settings monitor refresh rate is set to highest available