[SOLVED] 2080 Idle at 55 degrees+

Nov 5, 2018
Hi,

I have built a new PC recently and my GPU seems to idle at around 55-60 degrees. This seems higher than when I got it a week ago, and just seems a bit high in general?

The clock speed was maxxed out so I changed some display power settings in the Nvidia control panel, but it hasnt really fixed the temps, tho the clock speed has dropped a bit.

Any ideas would be awesome.

Thanks

Solution

Temps when gaming is 60-70 so its absolutely fine when gaming. This just seemed weird that it was so high when not gaming...

I ended up actually installing some new SSDs today (totally unrelated) and once I plugged my PC back the idle clock speed is now at 300mHZ and as a result the temps are back around 30-40. Which is great, no idea why this is the case tho, but idle temps seem good now

Ralston18

Titan
Check the specifications. If your GPU's temperature is within the specifications all should be well.

You might look inside and ensure that something is not blocking or otherwise causing air flow/cooling problems.

Perhaps there is a developing fan problem....

The idle temp isn't horrible. What's your temp when gaming? What make/model of GTX2080 do you have? Is it a blower style or the 2 or 3 fan style? What case doe you have and what is the fan configuration? I'm thinking that you may need to improve the case's airflow.

Nov 5, 2018

Temps when gaming is 60-70 so its absolutely fine when gaming. This just seemed weird that it was so high when not gaming...

I ended up actually installing some new SSDs today (totally unrelated) and once I plugged my PC back the idle clock speed is now at 300mHZ and as a result the temps are back around 30-40. Which is great, no idea why this is the case tho, but idle temps seem good now

Solution