[SOLVED] 2080 Super always reaching over 90%

Aug 15, 2019
Hey, so I'm posting this for a streaming friend of mine. He recently upgraded from a 1080 to a 2080 super. Every game he's tested so far, including R6 siege, Hunt: Showdown and Apex Legends are all making it sky rocket over 90% usage. This is a problem because he uses OBS with the new encoder which needs resources from the GPU as well, thus his stream becomes incredibly choppy due to render lag. He tried putting his 1080 back in but is having the exact same issue now even though it wasn't a problem before hand, any ideas? He also has an i7 8700 cpu and 16 gigs of ram.

Solution
Problem sorted, apparently the 2080 frequently gets over 90% GPU usage. The problem with OBS was the fact that it was weirdly focusing on a 3D logo he had on his stream, the encoder was focusing on that which was causing weird lag.
Aug 15, 2019
gpu temp? make and model of the psu?
malware scan?

@rgd1101
GPU Temp rapidly gets hotter getting to at least 66 as soon as he enters a game. He's doing a full reformat today so viruses shouldn't be a problem, will give you a reply after that. Not sure about the model, all I know is that it's a 2080 super. Once I ask him more I'll also give you that.

Has he tried to game without OBS to see what happens?

@faalin
Yeah even without OBS every single one is still making his GPU sky rocket past 90%.

is the GPU getting to 90% or is it the CPU?

its possible there may be a bottlenecks omewhere depending on what specs their computer has

@captaincharisma
It's the GPU getting to 90%. The CPU is fine for the most part albeit when he turned on V-sync the CPU did rise a bit. But even so, he's still having the same issue even when he replaced his old 1080 back in.

Aug 15, 2019
Problem sorted, apparently the 2080 frequently gets over 90% GPU usage. The problem with OBS was the fact that it was weirdly focusing on a 3D logo he had on his stream, the encoder was focusing on that which was causing weird lag.

Solution