[SOLVED] 2080 Super OC (1845Mhz vs 1860Mhz vs 1890Mhz) Whats the real world difference vs price?

Feb 14, 2020
So I'm in the process of building a new PC and I've chosen the 2080 Super GPU as I want to be running a 1440p, 144hz, IPS, 1ms monitor and I want the best graphics whilst maintaining those sweet 144 FPS.

When I'm looking at the different options however the price seems to jump £30 per 20mhz (boost) overclock. What difference would those few MHZ make and is it worth investing the extra £££ for it? Or should I instead go with a lower Mhz 2080 Super with, say, an AIO attached?

Solution
There is no real world difference here. The differences in price is really for the custom design of the cooling to the PCB layout. In the end, if you buy a model that has a good custom air cooling setup you can overclock the card yourself and get an actual performance difference that's noticeable.

For example, I got an MSI Gaming x Trio 2080Ti, it has 3 fans and a decent size aluminum fin to cover the entire board. It provides efficient cooling with its triple fans to overclock it 100+ more MHz core boost clock. Those boost clocks those GPU's are advertising also don't matter since the boost clock fluctuates anyway due to heat, so I get up to 2000MHz when my card is cool enough (around 64c) and it drops to 1940 when at 74c. without the...
There is no real world difference here. The differences in price is really for the custom design of the cooling to the PCB layout. In the end, if you buy a model that has a good custom air cooling setup you can overclock the card yourself and get an actual performance difference that's noticeable.

For example, I got an MSI Gaming x Trio 2080Ti, it has 3 fans and a decent size aluminum fin to cover the entire board. It provides efficient cooling with its triple fans to overclock it 100+ more MHz core boost clock. Those boost clocks those GPU's are advertising also don't matter since the boost clock fluctuates anyway due to heat, so I get up to 2000MHz when my card is cool enough (around 64c) and it drops to 1940 when at 74c. without the overclock, it still exceeds the specified manufacturer boost clock.

So order whichever you think has the better cooling and aesthetics in your preference.

Solution
Feb 14, 2020
Ok that makes sense, I read somewhere that these cards are blocked from being manually overclocked? Is that just in software like MSI or BIOS too? (new to the OC scene)

From what you're saying, I should go with the EVGA Hybrid (https://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-GeForce-Hybrid-08G-P4-3188-KR-Backplate/dp/B07VPFPWVN)

Instead of going with a similarly priced
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Power...per+oc&qid=1581696237&s=computers&sr=1-7&th=1

Both similarly priced with the Strix being 30mhz higher on clock