[SOLVED] 2080 super temp

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
So because of my ac being broken my room is pretty hot, and it will take a day or 2 for it to be fixed.
I turned on my pc when a fan pointing on it to cool me ans the pc at once.
The question is my gpu idle at 38 and starts climbing up because of my hot room, it got to around 45C and I was like I should ask about this before I do anything ans turned my pc off.
It is using the 0 fan mode thing, and I have few assignments and stuff to do but I don't want to damage my pc overall.

Can I use the pc just fine or do I wait until they fix my ac?

Thanks in advance

Solution
don't worry about it unless it gets to double that.

its likely its fans will kick in at a certain temp to stay there. All of them have passive fans until a certain temp. You can use Afterburner to have fans always on if you concerned.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It should be fine, my 2070 Super idles at 50c and won't start its fan until it hits 63c which never happens unless I am playing a game.

So a 2080 running less than that at idle will be fine.

I assume this isn't same PC as sig since it says you have a 2060 still.

2080 safe below 88c, that is max they should run as per Nvidia

Reactions: iMatty

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
It should be fine, my 2070 idles at 50c and won't start its fan until it hits 63c which never happens unless I am playing a game.

So a 2080 running less than that at idle will be fine.

I assume this isn't same PC as sig since it says you have a 2060 still.

2080 safe below 88c, that is max they should run as per Nvidia
It is the same pc but I changed the gpu since I was given the 2080 from a friend of mine.
But that shouldn't be a problem I suppose?

Colif

Win 11 Master

its likely its fans will kick in at a certain temp to stay there. All of them have passive fans until a certain temp. You can use Afterburner to have fans always on if you concerned.

Solution

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019

I'll probably use it to finish the rest of my university submissions and see how it goes from there.
I searched a bit about it and a lot of people said fans will kick in at around 60 to 65 Temps to cool it and I'll see how it goes!

Colif

Win 11 Master
The fans at 60 just stop it going above 60, they won't make it go below 60. My AIO has fans controlling temp of water in radiator, they act the same, they run slow unless temp of water goes up. they try to keep water at 29.60 and they won't work any harder to get it below that mark once its there.

You can use MSI Afterburner to set a lower point at when fans come on.

its safe anyway, the only one who will notice warmer temps is you in room with it.

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
The fans at 60 just stop it going above 60, they won't make it go below 60. My AIO has fans controlling temp of water in radiator, they act the same, they run slow unless temp of water goes up. they won't work any harder to get it below that mark once its there.

You can use MSI Afterburner to set a lower point at when fans come on.
Would you recommend me sitting a lower point to where my fans would kick in?
And if so what point would be optimal?
Though this situation of mine will just be for a day or 2 once they install my ac back my room gets pretty chilly and my pc gets pretty cold

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't know if I would adjust it if the repairs is only 2 days away. Its not long enough to be concerned about it.

Can you create a breeze another way? how closed off is case? can it breath?

I live in Australia, and don't have AC. My new PC hasn't had to survive a hot summer yet as we sort of didn''t have summer last year, but I doubt I be so lucky this year. When its 40c outside you sort of don't bother turning PC on as it gets too hot. Avg temps inside PC go up 10c whether I want it to happen or not. Running AIO fans faster just makes it noisier, doesn't really cool it if air being drawn in is warm already.

I feel your pc will survive 2 days without need for adjustments. Its probably running cooler than mine now. Though Ryzen temps are only averages anyway.

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
I don't know if I would adjust it if the repairs is only 2 days away. Its not long enough to be concerned about it.

Can you create a breeze another way? how closed off is case? can it breath?

I live in Australia, and don't have AC. My new PC hasn't had to survive a hot summer yet as we sort of didn''t have summer last year, but I doubt I be so lucky this year. When its 40c outside you sort of don't bother turning PC on as it gets too hot. Avg temps inside PC go up 10c whether I want it to happen or not. Running AIO fans faster just makes it noisier, doesn't really cool it if air being drawn in is warm already.

I feel your pc will survive 2 days without need for adjustments. Its probably running cooler than mine now. Though Ryzen temps are only averages anyway.
I live in the middle east in qatar to be specific and when it gets hot in here it can get up to like 45c or even 50C
I have an next h440 with 3 intake fans infront and 3 out 2 on the top and 1 on the back.
I can remove the front cover of the case so the air from the fan will directly hit the 3 intake fans instead of going through the side of the cover where the vents are located.
I think it will be fine as long as I don't do long gaming sessions

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
okay, you win. Max we had here ever is 44c last year. Happy to not see that again.
We have areas of country that always hit 50c in summer. I don't go there.

closed front. yeah, removing front would help short term.
I'll give it a try and see how it goes
Honestly without acs in here we would've been dead long time ago because of this heat and what is unfortunate is we rarely get any cold air/rain in here

Colif

Win 11 Master
so temps on GPU will likely rise to whatever ambient is in room, so without AC there isn't a lot you can do to keep them low.

You should be fine though.

most people suggest having fans start between 55 and 60, if you do use afterburner.
Mine must come on at 52c as today min was 22c and max was 52c, and if i don't game, 52 is always max. Currently 49c
or could be thats temp they sit on from the small breeze they get from my aio fans at front. I have too many exhausts, its hard to tell what intakes do besides cool CPU

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
so temps on GPU will likely rise to whatever ambient is in room, so without AC there isn't a lot you can do to keep them low.

You should be fine though.

most people suggest having fans start between 55 and 60, if you do use afterburner.
Mine must come on at 52c as today min was 22c and max was 52c, and if i don't game, 52 is always max. Currently 49c
or could be thats temp they sit on from the small breeze they get from my aio fans at front. I have too many exhausts, its hard to tell what intakes do besides cool CPU
If It did get hotter than 50 or 55 I'll probably use Afterburner for a day or 2 until my ac is installed again
I have a mix of both intake and exhaust fans because I was looking for the positive air pressure etc

Thank you for the suggestions overall!

Colif

Win 11 Master
3 in and 3 out is balanced unless the front ones are bigger than rear ones. Balanced hardest to achieve really.

Positive normally more intake than exhaust. Blows all the air out of case instead of sucking it all out. My lst case was set up for it, 3 x 180mm intake, 1 x 120mm exhaust.

i seem to have negative pressure. 2 x 120mm intake vs 3 x 140mm out, its not even fair. but they don't all run same speeds.

I have been waiting for a normal summer to see if 3 exhausts helps or if its a waste of time.

I have 2 fans in roof, I may unplug the one closest to front as I don't think it really cools anything. Its probably just sucking out air that could cool other things first.
It hasn't been that hot for me to know for sure.

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
3 in and 3 out is balanced unless the front ones are bigger than rear ones. Balanced hardest to achieve really.

Positive normally more intake than exhaust. Blows all the air out of case instead of sucking it all out. My lst case was set up for it, 3 x 180mm intake, 1 x 120mm exhaust.

i seem to have negative pressure. 2 x 120mm intake vs 3 x 140mm out, its not even fair. but they don't all run same speeds.

I have been waiting for a normal summer to see if 3 exhausts helps or if its a waste of time.

I have 2 fans in roof, I may unplug the one closest to front as I don't think it really cools anything. Its probably just sucking out air that could cool other things first.
It hasn't been that hot for me to know for sure.
The 3 I have infront are all 120 nzxt fans and the 2 I have on top is 140 and the one in the back is 120 as well.
I was trying to have an airflow where it doesn't leave dust inside of my pc and this setup somehow worked and helped with less dust in the pc and I don't think we are going to get normal summer until this whole global warming issue is solved or somewhat solved