[SOLVED] 2080 super temps.

Whoppsh

Prominent
Feb 21, 2019
So while playing for about 4-5 hours with 100% GPU utilization in a game. I was getting about 77c MAX with around 65-70% fan speed.

This is with an 90mhz core and 1200 memory OC with power limit set to 118%.

Are these temps considered okay for this card? Nvidia DROPPED their max TDP for the RTX cards to 88c so it's a bit worrying as the older GTX cards where at 95c.

So... are these good for long term? Should it be slightly lower? Should I burn out the fans faster by upping the fan curves? Any suggestions would make me feel better.

Side note: I have an i9 9900k @ 5ghz @ 1.36v. Max temps for that are 78c as you see on the screens shot as well. Anyone know if that's a good temp for this CPU as well? Thanks!
Edit I should add that this is my 2080 super model. https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce...081-kr/p/N82E16814487461?Item=N82E16814487461
0 Comments

Solution
AVX - Advanced Vector eXtensions - https://www.quora.com/What-are-AVX-instructions-in-CPU
Short version: it's faster than the normal SSE(Streaming SIMD Extensions) instructions the cpu normally runs at the same frequency, but consumes more power, and thus generates more heat.
It also goes without saying that it needs more voltage for stability at the same frequency as well. It's not widely used yet. Some games may see brief use of AVX instructions in the programming code.

Since you didn't know about it, then you haven't set an offset - it's set to 0 by default.

Here's Silicon Lottery's binning statistics for the 9900K: https://siliconlottery.com/pages/statistics
SSE FrequencyAVX2 Frequency
CPU and GPU are completely different thing.
GPU at 100% utilization (CPU as well) is pushing to the limit even the best coolers, i think 77c at 100% for a long time is somewhat normal... I think you're suppose to have amazing cooler to have proper temps at 100% for extensive amount of time (60-69c).
Usually the life of a GPU is around 4 years, and i think even at 77-85c they can survive that long.
I'm using different curves on the cooling so i would stay around 69-72c max and even at some games (where i'm casually grinding and fps doesn't matter) I turn on even "vsynch".
Its hard to keep your GPU under 69c (especially in the summer), i mean not only hard but LOUD as well.
It's your preference but letting High-End GPU grab every frame possible results in a hot situation. If you think you will use your card more than 3-4 years and its important for you (especially if you use it for a long periods of time at 100%) and you don't mind insane noise, ramp up the vents, the temp that are perfectly safe for any GPU are 60-69 under load. You can even water-cool it if its such a concern, i had back in the day 8800 GTX (hottest gpu back in the day, hottest i mean top DOG), i just left it do whatever the <Mod Edit> it wanted... in the summer sometimes it was hitting 87 (or maybe even more when i wasn't looking) and it still survived 4 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whoppsh

Prominent
Feb 21, 2019
CPU and GPU are completely different thing.
GPU at 100% utilization (CPU as well) is pushing to the limit even the best coolers, i think 77c at 100% for a long time is somewhat normal... I think you're suppose to have amazing cooler to have proper temps at 100% for extensive amount of time (60-69c).
Usually the life of a GPU is around 4 years, and i think even at 77-85c they can survive that long.
I'm using different curves on the cooling so i would stay around 69-72c max and even at some games (where i'm casually grinding and fps doesn't matter) I turn on even "vsynch".
Its hard to keep your GPU under 69c (especially in the summer), i mean not only hard but LOUD as well.
It's your preference but letting High-End GPU grab every frame possible results in a hot situation. If you think you will use your card more than 3-4 years and its important for you (especially if you use it for a long periods of time at 100%) and you don't mind insane noise, ramp up the vents, the temp that are perfectly safe for any GPU are 60-69 under load. You can even water-cool it if its such a concern, i had back in the day 8800 GTX (hottest gpu back in the day, hottest i mean top DOG), i just left it do whatever the <Mod Edit> it wanted... in the summer sometimes it was hitting 87 (or maybe even more when i wasn't looking) and it still survived 4 years.

Would it be a somewhat of an easy job to get it from "Stock" to water cooled. I've seen some AIO GPU water coolers. I don't think I'm experience enough to do a custom loop atm.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Are these temps considered okay for this card?
Those temps are fine.

Nvidia DROPPED their max TDP for the RTX cards to 88c so it's a bit worrying as the older GTX cards where at 95c.
Umm, you've confused TDP(Thermal Design POWER) with max operating temperature.
The TDP of the Founders Edition 2080 Super is 250w, with a max of 280w. The 3rd party cards will have higher limits. Your EVGA Black has a max of 292w.
The temperature limit of the 2080 Super is 84C, with a max of 88C.

So... are these good for long term? Should it be slightly lower? Should I burn out the fans faster by upping the fan curves? Any suggestions would make me feel better.
1)Yes.
2)It doesn't need to be.
3)A fan's lifespan is finite anyway. Do what you feel comfortable with. Manufacturers don't post the full specs for their gpu's fans, other than rpm.

Side note: I have an i9 9900k @ 5ghz @ 1.36v. Max temps for that are 78c as you see on the screens shot as well. Anyone know if that's a good temp for this CPU as well? Thanks!
1)That's a high Vcore for 5.0ghz. You must not be using an AVX offset, otherwise you'd be able to run with less.
2)78C? I guess it is? There's nothing to base it off of. It's not pushing 90C, so...

Reactions: Whoppsh

Whoppsh

Prominent
Feb 21, 2019
Those temps are fine.

Umm, you've confused TDP(Thermal Design POWER) with max operating temperature.
The TDP of the Founders Edition 2080 Super is 250w, with a max of 280w. The 3rd party cards will have higher limits. Your EVGA Black has a max of 292w.
The temperature limit of the 2080 Super is 84C, with a max of 88C.

1)Yes.
2)It doesn't need to be.
3)A fan's lifespan is finite anyway. Do what you feel comfortable with. Manufacturers don't post the full specs for their gpu's fans, other than rpm.

1)That's a high Vcore for 5.0ghz. You must not be using an AVX offset, otherwise you'd be able to run with less.
2)78C? I guess it is? There's nothing to base it off of. It's not pushing 90C, so...

Some good info here, I appreciate it.

As for the CPU, in bois I have it set to fixed voltage of 1.36 and set the multiplier to 50. This might sound bad but I do not know what AVX. Is it that thing the boosts the speeds on its own as needed? I haven’t tried stepping the voltage down more but 1.36 is completely stable atm so I could try to go a little less.

is avx in the bios? Don’t think I’ve seen it there

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
AVX - Advanced Vector eXtensions - https://www.quora.com/What-are-AVX-instructions-in-CPU
Short version: it's faster than the normal SSE(Streaming SIMD Extensions) instructions the cpu normally runs at the same frequency, but consumes more power, and thus generates more heat.
It also goes without saying that it needs more voltage for stability at the same frequency as well. It's not widely used yet. Some games may see brief use of AVX instructions in the programming code.

Since you didn't know about it, then you haven't set an offset - it's set to 0 by default.

Here's Silicon Lottery's binning statistics for the 9900K: https://siliconlottery.com/pages/statistics
SSE FrequencyAVX2 FrequencyVcore% Capable
9900K4.80GHz4.60GHz1.275V100%
9900K4.90GHz4.70GHz1.287VTop 91%
9900K5.00GHz4.80GHz1.300VTop 30%
9900K5.10GHz4.90GHz1.312VTop 5%

Is it that thing the boosts the speeds on its own as needed?
No, that's Turbo Boost.

Solution

Whoppsh

Prominent
Feb 21, 2019

No, that's Turbo Boost.
Holy <Mod Edit> yeah I’d say that core is a bit high lol

Whoppsh

Prominent
Feb 21, 2019

Im actually really excited to get home from work now and see if I can get some of these voltages. I’ll report back to see if I can get it running stable with lower bolts!

Reactions: Phaaze88

TRENDING THREADS