[SOLVED] 2080 super. Troubleshooting. HELP

Nov 16, 2021
I have a pre-built with a 2080 super in it and it has less than 100 hrs on it. When I'm playing games it will shut off completely. Sometime I can game all night and not have the issue. And sometimes it happens after 30 minutes. I took it to a PC repair shop and they told me my GPU was fried. It didn't sound right to me. I've replaced the PSU and it still does it. Mad temp I've gotten on the GPU is 79c. Can anyone help? Is the GPU really fried? I installed m.2 memory in it. Does this have anything to do with jt?

Solution
I have a pre-built with a 2080 super in it and it has less than 100 hrs on it. When I'm playing games it will shut off completely. Sometime I can game all night and not have the issue. And sometimes it happens after 30 minutes. I took it to a PC repair shop and they told me my GPU was fried. It didn't sound right to me. I've replaced the PSU and it still does it. Mad temp I've gotten on the GPU is 79c. Can anyone help? Is the GPU really fried?

It could be shutting down because of too high temperatures. Fast temperature spikes (prebuild GPU so im guessing 82c core temp = shutdown) will activate card's protections and shut down. Could be fried, if it has been used long times with very high temperatures. But these cards can...
Nov 15, 2021
I have a pre-built with a 2080 super in it and it has less than 100 hrs on it. When I'm playing games it will shut off completely. Sometime I can game all night and not have the issue. And sometimes it happens after 30 minutes. I took it to a PC repair shop and they told me my GPU was fried. It didn't sound right to me. I've replaced the PSU and it still does it. Mad temp I've gotten on the GPU is 79c. Can anyone help? Is the GPU really fried?

It could be shutting down because of too high temperatures. Fast temperature spikes (prebuild GPU so im guessing 82c core temp = shutdown) will activate card's protections and shut down. Could be fried, if it has been used long times with very high temperatures. But these cards can tolerate very high temperatures for long time, so maybe you still have some hope. Well, atleast the core itself can, god knows what components are on that prebuild card..

BUT, you need to do something about those temperatures and it could also solve your problem. Is there any chance to increase your case airflow? How loud are those card's fans when you are gaming? Increasing GPU fan curve is easy way, but it will be loud, and not the best solution because of fan's lifespan.

Edit: Sorry for my english.

Solution
Nov 16, 2021
It could be shutting down because of too high temperatures. Fast temperature spikes (prebuild GPU so im guessing 82c core temp = shutdown) will activate card's protections and shut down. Could be fried, if it has been used long times with very high temperatures. But these cards can tolerate very high temperatures for long time, so maybe you still have some hope. Well, atleast the core itself can, god knows what components are on that prebuild card..

BUT, you need to do something about those temperatures and it could also solve your problem. Is there any chance to increase your case airflow? How loud are those card's fans when you are gaming? Increasing GPU fan curve is easy way, but it will be loud, and not the best solution because of fan's lifespan.

Edit: Sorry for my english.
Thank you so much for the help. My question is, wouldn't I see signs of degradation in my video quality if my video card was over heating? The picture quality and the frames are still good. I haven't seen any lowering I. The quality. Just the PC turning completely off.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I installed m.2 Nvme memory in myself and I don't know if this would cause my issue or not?
The way you initially worded it sounded like this to me:
"I took the memory from a M.2 drive and installed it in my gpu."

You meant that you installed a M.2 drive in the PC. That normally shouldn't cause a problem unless you replaced your C drive with it and didn't reinstall Windows.
Seeing that you're not experiencing BSODs, and it's straight shutting off, it's not a Windows problem.

Also I'm seeing 104c under temperatures on the CPU. Is this too hot?
Several degrees too hot for any modern cpu. It helps sharing as many of the PC's parts that you can. All we know is:
Gpu: 2080 Super
Storage: at least 1, and it's a M.2 drive.

We don't know the:
Cpu
Cpu cooler
Make and model of the old power supply, or even the one you replaced it with.
Motherboard
The other parts are kind of optional.

Nov 16, 2021
The way you initially worded it sounded like this to me:
"I took the memory from a M.2 drive and installed it in my gpu."

You meant that you installed a M.2 drive in the PC. That normally shouldn't cause a problem unless you replaced your C drive with it and didn't reinstall Windows.
Seeing that you're not experiencing BSODs, and it's straight shutting off, it's not a Windows problem.

Several degrees too hot for any modern cpu. It helps sharing as many of the PC's parts that you can. All we know is:
Gpu: 2080 Super
Storage: at least 1, and it's a M.2 drive.

We don't know the:
Cpu
Cpu cooler
Make and model of the old power supply, or even the one you replaced it with.
Motherboard
The other parts are kind of optional.
Sorry. I'm not good at this. I will get all of that when I get off work and get back to the forum. Thank you for the help though

Reactions: Lacsative

TRENDING THREADS