Question 2080 Ti reaches 88°+, monitor loses signal, and fans spin at 100% ?

Fractured_

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2014
Hey all,

so while I have seen this issue posted around here a few times, I don't believe I've seen it with the same circumstances as myself.

A friend has effectively given me their 2080ti after they started experiencing this issue when it is under load - it will reach a temperature somewhere around the high 80s, or low 90s, then the card will lose its signal with the monitor, and the GPU's fans will ramp themselves up to max throttle.

I've been finding a few different cases of this issue, where the cause seems to be <Mod Edit> current drivers (which I have, for the most part, ruled out), faulty PSU/PSU connectors (which I'm doubtful of, as this issue is replicated on both our rigs), or that the GPU is straight up bunk (although when this conclusion is made, there tends not to be the high temps I'm experiencing). I'm confident that I'm able to fix this issue (or at least bandaid it).

My current plan of action is to:

first, reapply thermal compound, to see if it reduces the temps significantly.

If the issue persists, undervolt the card, to see if I can stop it reaching the breaking temperature completely.

However, I have done those two things, I really don't have any other ideas.

Any clues guys?

Some additional info is that this friend used to mine with this card, and found that this issue began after a month of mining while he was abroad.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Black screen + 100% fans is Over Current Protection kicking in. Mosfet(s), or the voltage controller may be on their way out.
Applying lower gpu power limits(80% or something) and fps caps may stabilize things, as they help to reduce gpu current draw.

Mining stresses the gpu's memory controller. Gaming to the VRM.
Unlike gpu core, the voltage to the memory is fixed; undervolting won't affect it. Try lowering the memory clock instead.

Reactions: Fractured_

Fractured_

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2014
Black screen + 100% fans is Over Current Protection kicking in. Mosfet(s), or the voltage controller may be on their way out.
Applying lower gpu power limits(80% or something) and fps caps may stabilize things, as they help to reduce gpu current draw.

Mining stresses the gpu's memory controller. Gaming to the VRM.
Unlike gpu core, the voltage to the memory is fixed; undervolting won't affect it. Try lowering the memory clock instead.

Thanks so much for this response, super insightful.

Would the degrading mosfets & voltage controller also explain the high temps? Do you think its still worth disassembling and replacing the thermal paste & pads?

I'll stress the GPU later limiting it at 80% and report back. Thank you!

Thanks so much for this response, super insightful.

Would the degrading mosfets & voltage controller also explain the high temps? Do you think its still worth disassembling and replacing the thermal paste & pads?

I'll stress the GPU later limiting it at 80% and report back. Thank you!
Go ahead and replace the thermal paste and possibly the thermal pads.

Reactions: Fractured_