[SOLVED] 2080 Ti Under Performing Please Help!

Aug 21, 2019
Hey guys, I really need your all’s help and knowledge. So I just built a new system. Specs are as follows:
R9 3900x
Evga 2080Ti Black Edition
Gskill ram @ 3600mhz
Also I only play on a 1080p 240hz monitor right now until I upgrade soon.
So performance in Valorant is questionable. Average...probably 230, maybe less...
I ran a benchmark on far cry 5 in game and my mind was blown...94avg FPS!!! With a 2080ti!!!
Here’s what bothers me, my last PC was specs as follows:
I9-9900k
Rtx 2070(non super)
3200mhz ram
Now I know intel is better for gaming, but from what I’ve seen on YouTube with the R9 3900x, fps is hardly different. With that intel system, I was getting 130avg fps. I now have a 2080ti and it’s performing like <Mod Edit> Please someone help, I’m very upset :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
I have a question. If I wanted to use DDU and re install my drivers, how would that work? what I mean by that is, obviously my cpu doesn't have integrated graphics, so if I did that, would it make me black screen?
The DDU software allows you to choose what you want to remove. Boot into Safemode and run the DDU application. Simply select the Nvidia software from the drop down menu. Then choose the "restart after uninstall" option. Be sure to have the newest drivers already downloaded prior to removing old. Also, I take extra precautions and unplug the ethernet cable to prevent Windows from installing their GPU software before I can install Nvidia.
Aug 21, 2019
did you do a fresh os install for this amd build?
Yes, I did. I just ran the benchmark in game again and I think I know the cause of low fps. At 1080p Ultra, its only putting a 7% load on my gpu. I don't know what would cause it to do that, but any ideas wouldd be greatly appreciated!

Aug 21, 2019
cpu/gpu temp and usage during the test?
ram running at 3600? dual channel?
make and model of the psu?
Cpu about 60C and GPU about 55C. Ram running in dual channel at 3600mhz. Psu is seasonic focus gx-750w psu which I know is plenty for the 3900x and 2080ti. What’s weird is like right now I’m playing Valorant. My gpu is only at 35% load and when I ran the benchmark on farcry, it was only at 2%!! What is cause my gpu yo not get loaded? That’s probably the cause of my fps drops

I have a question. If I wanted to use DDU and re install my drivers, how would that work? what I mean by that is, obviously my cpu doesn't have integrated graphics, so if I did that, would it make me black screen?
The DDU software allows you to choose what you want to remove. Boot into Safemode and run the DDU application. Simply select the Nvidia software from the drop down menu. Then choose the "restart after uninstall" option. Be sure to have the newest drivers already downloaded prior to removing old. Also, I take extra precautions and unplug the ethernet cable to prevent Windows from installing their GPU software before I can install Nvidia.

Last edited:
Solution
Aug 21, 2019
Sorry, no it’s not a game I have tried.
When you first built your pc, did you have problems with your board sending the chip too much voltage? For some reason at idle, its sending 1.5V and then when under load, its able to undervolt to correct voltage and maintain clock speeds, but I don't get why it does that at idle. It'll never drop to 1V like it supposed to. I would like to fix that and I'm not sure how. I know about a year ago JayzTwoCents had the same issues with a new X570 board and thats why I went B450. I figured it would be ironed out by now but apparently not.

When you first built your pc, did you have problems with your board sending the chip too much voltage? For some reason at idle, its sending 1.5V and then when under load, its able to undervolt to correct voltage and maintain clock speeds, but I don't get why it does that at idle. It'll never drop to 1V like it supposed to. I would like to fix that and I'm not sure how. I know about a year ago JayzTwoCents had the same issues with a new X570 board and thats why I went B450. I figured it would be ironed out by now but apparently not.
Now that you mention it I think I did until I updated the BIOS. I can’t remember exactly but I think it’s what prompted me to update the BIOS with a few hours of getting the system up and running.

Ok just opened my system and ran Cinebench R20. Vcore Max was 1.448 and minimum after is 1.208v.

Edit, it just dropped to 0.968v and is staying around that.

Last edited: