[SOLVED] 2080 ti underperforming

Crusty Crab

Prominent
Aug 15, 2020
I recently just purchased a second hand 2080 ti which isn't hitting the performances i expect. I play at 1080p, on warzone i've seen people get 150-200+fps playing at this resolution yet im getting just over 100 on high settings (rtx off). I've tested it in other games as well to compare and i'm still worse off. I've tested it using msi afterburner and it's not a cpu bottleneck as this card is running at pretty much 100 all the time in game. It's weird because i use the xbox game bar to talk to my friends on xbox and it has a tab showing your usage of vram, and when a game starts it jumps up to like 9gb even though in the settings on warzone im only using around 4.5gb. Just thought i'd see if anyone may have some suggesting as to why its so badly underperforming before i ask to send it back.

I done a benchmark and it says its underperforming also
View: https://imgur.com/cyiLl85

Solution
I recently just purchased a second hand 2080 ti which isn't hitting the performances i expect. I play at 1080p, on warzone i've seen people get 150-200+fps playing at this resolution yet im getting just over 100 on high settings (rtx off). I've tested it in other games as well to compare and i'm still worse off. I've tested it using msi afterburner and it's not a cpu bottleneck as this card is running at pretty much 100 all the time in game. It's weird because i use the xbox game bar to talk to my friends on xbox and it has a tab showing your usage of vram, and when a game starts it jumps up to like 9gb even though in the settings on warzone im only using around 4.5gb. Just thought i'd see if anyone may have some suggesting as to...
I recently just purchased a second hand 2080 ti which isn't hitting the performances i expect. I play at 1080p, on warzone i've seen people get 150-200+fps playing at this resolution yet im getting just over 100 on high settings (rtx off). I've tested it in other games as well to compare and i'm still worse off. I've tested it using msi afterburner and it's not a cpu bottleneck as this card is running at pretty much 100 all the time in game. It's weird because i use the xbox game bar to talk to my friends on xbox and it has a tab showing your usage of vram, and when a game starts it jumps up to like 9gb even though in the settings on warzone im only using around 4.5gb. Just thought i'd see if anyone may have some suggesting as to why its so badly underperforming before i ask to send it back.

I done a benchmark and it says its underperforming also
View: https://imgur.com/cyiLl85

Nothing is terribly wrong with your hardware, but a few small things are adding up to give you the result you have:
  • You're using an Ryzen 3000 series CPU. These CPUs will limit your maximum frame rate (due to relatively low boost clocks and low IPC). The benchmarks you saw were probably run with an overclocked Intel i9-9900k or an overclocked Intel i9-10900k.
  • Your RAM speed is slow for a Ryzen CPU, further limiting your performance. Ryzen infinity fabric clock speeds are a multiplier of RAM speed; when your RAM is slow, your CPU is also slow. The ideal RAM speed for your CPU is 3600 MHz.

Solution
D

Deleted member 2720853

Ryzen 3000 has low IPC? Doubt it. Would've agreed if you were talking about Ryzen 1000 or 2000.

D

Deleted member 2720853

Roughly match? More like put in a coffin.

I am certain Ryzen 3000 IPC is on par if not better than Intel, but you do you.

D

Deleted member 2720853

Even my 3900X gets more FPS in CS:GO than the 10900K. Nobody is going to buy a CPU purely for gaming. Ryzen 3000 IPC wins in all aspects over Intel. Lower single thread, but Ryzen 5000 fixes that issue.

Back to the thread.

To the OP, check if you have XMP enabled in the BIOS. You should not have that memory latency. Adequate latency for Ryzen 3000 is between 65-75ns.

If the XMP profile is on, you might want to look into getting 3200/3600 MHz CL16 RAM. As your current RAM speed does hinder gaming performance.

Crusty Crab

Prominent
Aug 15, 2020
Even my 3900X gets more FPS in CS:GO than the 10900K. Nobody is going to buy a CPU purely for gaming. Ryzen 3000 IPC wins in all aspects over Intel. Lower single thread, but Ryzen 5000 fixes that issue.

Back to the thread.

To the OP, check if you have XMP enabled in the BIOS. You should not have that memory latency. Adequate latency for Ryzen 3000 is between 65-75ns.

If the XMP profile is on, you might want to look into getting 3200/3600 MHz CL16 RAM. As your current RAM speed does hinder gaming performance.

I know my ram speed is low and yes xmp is on but still would’ve thought my fps would be abit higher. I plan on getting faster ram soon but will it really add that much fps? I’ve seen tests with the same cpu getting around 180 in warzone, is upping my ram speed really going to add 50+ fps on this game? I was expecting around 140 when I bought this gpu.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
You got a point there. But in gaming, it's clear who wins now.
Not really clear the benchmarks I have seen have both processors having a bit better performance than the other depending on the game.

For the OP they have been patches that have hurt the performance of the game so any video might not even be relevant anymore.
From the benchmark score it looks like you have a regular reference card not a overclocked aftermarket card. EDIT MSI card that appears to be under performing a bit.

Another thing of youtube you never really know if it's a actually even playing field or the results were doctored.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2720853

I know my ram speed is low and yes xmp is on but still would’ve thought my fps would be abit higher. I plan on getting faster ram soon but will it really add that much fps? I’ve seen tests with the same cpu getting around 180 in warzone, is upping my ram speed really going to add 50+ fps on this game? I was expecting around 140 when I bought this gpu.
Getting 3600 MHz will help out considerably. Userbenchmark generally classifies your GPU as below average if it's not overclocked, I wouldn't go off of that. Getting faster RAM will most likely fix all your "problems". Make sure you are using the latest AMD chipset driver, are on Ryzen Balanced power plan, and that you have the latest BIOS.

Crusty Crab

Prominent
Aug 15, 2020
Getting 3600 MHz will help out considerably. Userbenchmark generally classifies your GPU as below average if it's not overclocked, I wouldn't go off of that. Getting faster RAM will most likely fix all your "problems". Make sure you are using the latest AMD chipset driver, are on Ryzen Balanced power plan, and that you have the latest BIOS.
I've just update my chipset drivers and it has increased my fps by around 10. Im going to upgrade my ram in the new year which is probably the main issue. Thanks for the help.