[SOLVED] 2080 ti w/ 10700k or 3080 w/ 3900xt for 1080p 240+ fps gaming

May 8, 2020
The main use for the build is competitive/ stacked endgame fortnite, which happens to be an fps nightmare. I want to have as close to 240 fps at all time as possible. I was waiting for the release of the 3080, but with the current used prices of the 2080 ti... i am second guessing myself. Would having say a 10700k with a 2080ti make more sense than a 3900xt and a 3080 due to the lack of PCIe 4 support on the current intel generation ? Being that 1080p gaming is more cpu dependent?
Or any other gpu/cpu combos with a purpose if achieving the highest possible frames at 1080p on low settings? (mainly in fortnite)

Reactions: WhiteWolfOW_
Solution
Yes I have been struggling with finding a solution, most people just say its overkill for what i want regardless.

Yes I understand there is not true way to know an answer without benchmarks but my main concern is the ryzen cpu. I have heard alot about them simply being good for 1440p+ gaming and that intel would be better for high fps 1080p. I Know i will be able to get 240+ fps with both gpus.
Yes Intel can push more FPS at lower resolutions when paired with a powerful gpu but the difference isn’t much. Without benchmarks we are all guessing, maybe pcie 4.0 for AMD will close the gap? I doubt it but can’t rule it out. Also 4000 series is just on the horizon and promising another good performance bump for AMD.

WhiteWolfOW_

Prominent
Mar 13, 2019
+1 to this question, including if the 3090 offers any potential.

I've asked the same question or similar around other places, like whirlpool which is a site / forum down here in Australia specifically about the 3080.

Information so far is mixed, some people are saying for the niche example of 240Hz at 1080p it would offer more performance in some titles that aren't entirely CPU bottlenecked especially if one was to upgrade to Zen 3 when they launch.

Struggled to find much advice around the difference between 3090 and 3080 in this situation however.

The reason it’s hard to find a definitive answer is the benchmarks are not out yet. People are basing their view on what we know about last generation. However I will point out that it was largely accepted as a 2080Ti being overkill for 1080p and the 3070 is supposed to be 2080Ti performance. I don’t seen anything with the new release that will shift the level of gpu power that can be utilised at 1080p. I think largely this is a bet on if future games will be able to utilise that extra performance.

Reactions: Phaaze88
May 8, 2020
+1 to this question, including if the 3090 offers any potential.

I've asked the same question or similar around other places, like whirlpool which is a site / forum down here in Australia specifically about the 3080.

Information so far is mixed, some people are saying for the niche example of 240Hz at 1080p it would offer more performance in some titles that aren't entirely CPU bottlenecked especially if one was to upgrade to Zen 3 when they launch.

Struggled to find much advice around the difference between 3090 and 3080 in this situation however.

Yes I have been struggling with finding a solution, most people just say its overkill for what i want regardless.
The reason it’s hard to find a definitive answer is the benchmarks are not out yet. People are basing their view on what we know about last generation. However I will point out that it was largely accepted as a 2080Ti being overkill for 1080p and the 3070 is supposed to be 2080Ti performance. I don’t seen anything with the new release that will shift the level of gpu power that can be utilised at 1080p. I think largely this is a bet on if future games will be able to utilise that extra performance.

Yes I understand there is not true way to know an answer without benchmarks but my main concern is the ryzen cpu. I have heard alot about them simply being good for 1440p+ gaming and that intel would be better for high fps 1080p. I Know i will be able to get 240+ fps with both gpus.

Yes Intel can push more FPS at lower resolutions when paired with a powerful gpu but the difference isn’t much. Without benchmarks we are all guessing, maybe pcie 4.0 for AMD will close the gap? I doubt it but can’t rule it out. Also 4000 series is just on the horizon and promising another good performance bump for AMD.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution
May 8, 2020

Yea im looking for an answer for something that nobody can answer truly, but im just tryna weigh my options. There was recently leaked news that the supply for the 3000 series gpus are super low. Therefore Im afraid it will sell out if i wait for people to run tests first. Do they send out test units to like youtubers before the actual release? Or release true benchmarks before release? (have they in the past i cant remember) I want to make sure I can finish the build before the end of the month so I have a computer for school.

Yea im looking for an answer for something that nobody can answer truly, but im just tryna weigh my options. There was recently leaked news that the supply for the 3000 series gpus are super low. Therefore Im afraid it will sell out if i wait for people to run tests first. Do they send out test units to like youtubers before the actual release? Or release true benchmarks before release? (have they in the past i cant remember) I want to make sure I can finish the build before the end of the month so I have a computer for school.
Normally reviewers receive gpu’s a little before they go on sale but the reviews are not allowed to be published until an NDA expires which is the same time they go on sale. However I recall one release (can’t remember if gpu or cpu) where the reviewers complained about having less than 24hrs.

Reactions: Redrum38

TRENDING THREADS