[SOLVED] 2080ti compatibility

XxDarkus101Xx

Honorable
Dec 3, 2016
Hello, i am saving up money to buy the 2080ti or the 2080 overclocked for both when bought off of Amazon. Right now i have an i7 8700 (non k), and and gtx 1070. I know my CPU will support card since i did my homework so j dont have to worry about that. I will also be upgrading my power supply to 750w for the graphics card to work properly. I know nvidia recommended at least 650w, but i'm staying safe for the card. The only thing i'm worried about is temperature. I know some of you will tell me its better to also upgrade 9900k, but I don't want to waste anymore money. All I want is the card and psu. I already bottlenecking won't be an issue or two, but that fear of it being hot to over 80c is kinda scary. My monitor only supports 1920x1080, but I'm cool with playing 1080p and not 4k. All im asking is that what kind if temperatures will I be dealing with when I play games with everything maxed out except resolution. If hot to the point if stuttering or throttling, I will consider the 9900k, if not then im fine with my current 8700.

Solution
I'm not sure why you think going form a 8700 to a 9900K will lower temps, the 9900K is notoriously hot. If your 8700 is running on the warm side, get a better cooler. for it or increase your case airflow if that's the issue.

As far as your PSU, which PSU do you plan on buying? Being 750watts means nothing if its a cheap 750 watt one.

As far as the 2080ti or even 2080 Super, its absolutely overkill for 1080P gaming. A 2060 Super or if you want to splurge 2070 Super is more then enough for it. It's your money to spend and if you want and can spend it go ahead, but you'll never get the moneys worth out of a 2080ti/Super at 1080P gaming.
I'm not sure why you think going form a 8700 to a 9900K will lower temps, the 9900K is notoriously hot. If your 8700 is running on the warm side, get a better cooler. for it or increase your case airflow if that's the issue.

As far as your PSU, which PSU do you plan on buying? Being 750watts means nothing if its a cheap 750 watt one.

As far as the 2080ti or even 2080 Super, its absolutely overkill for 1080P gaming. A 2060 Super or if you want to splurge 2070 Super is more then enough for it. It's your money to spend and if you want and can spend it go ahead, but you'll never get the moneys worth out of a 2080ti/Super at 1080P gaming.

Solution

XxDarkus101Xx

Honorable
Dec 3, 2016

Nahh well I mean I will try to play at 4K as I have not even tried it before. Also my cpu has a liquid cooling ontop of the cpu. Ecen if im gaming it stays cool ALL the time. For the psu I saw this on Amazon:

EVGA 750 BQ, 80+ Bronze 750W, Semi Modular, 5 Year Warranty, Includes Free Power On Self Tester, Power Supply 110-BQ-0750-V1.

Don't know if its ok, but i can always have recommendations.

XxDarkus101Xx

Honorable
Dec 3, 2016
no one knows what type of temperatures you may reach without knowing the specs of your system including the case and it's fan setup, CPU cooler and it's fan setup, etc. also what PSU are you talking about exactly? there are many 750w varieties out there.
Mmmm I mean something that will power it up properly. As long as its 750w. Doesn't matter which manufacture.

Mmmm I mean something that will power it up properly. As long as its 750w. Doesn't matter which manufacture.
it does matter which manufacturer and even which specific model. cheap units can cause serious damage to your components and can cause serious stability issues.

i would go for a Gold rated or above PSU for any gaming system.
check here at one of Tom's PSU review threads for better recommendations.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

XxDarkus101Xx

Honorable
Dec 3, 2016
Well I guess I can get the corsair rmx since it is high quality and I really don't like getting cheap material. I was just hoping to find something under $100 or $90, but j guess that ain't gonna happen unless I was getting below 750w. I saw this one one.

CORSAIR RMX Series, RM750x, 750 Watt, 80+ Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply

Also I have an HP Omen 880-139 Desktop. Im hoping it would fit in it.

sorry, off-topic
...this thread is acting crazy for me.
some posts not showing up until after multiple replies have been posted and appeared, "Click to expand" leading to top menu, quoting comments showing posts from other threads...
have closed Tom's, closed browser, interacted with other threads with no problem, but this one keeps acting up.

DSzymborski

Titan
Ok final offer.

Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 Gold SSR-750FX 750W 80+ Gold ATX12V & EPS12V Full Modular 120mm FDB Fan 10 Year Warranty Compact 140 mm Size Power Supply

Is this good?

Yes, that is a solid PSU as is the Corsair RMx mentioned earlier.

Glad to see you looking at better PSUs; it's a bit concerning to try and save $20-$30 on a PSU that's meant to power an $1100-$1500 GPU! It would be like buying a Lamborghini and then being aghast that the higher octane gas costs 15 cents more a gallon.

Ok final offer.

Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 Gold SSR-750FX 750W 80+ Gold ATX12V & EPS12V Full Modular 120mm FDB Fan 10 Year Warranty Compact 140 mm Size Power Supply

Is this good?
read the previously posted PSU review threads from here at Tom's and from LinusTechTips and compare the models you've chosen and what the reviewers have stated about them.

coming and asking what members think of a specific model is sometimes a bad choice. you may find a fanboy of certain manufacturers that chooses them over better options or someone who really doesn't know what they're talking about but wants to get higher rankings by making more posts.
it's best to learn how to research these things on your own and get a broad view of what's the best options available for you.

though that Seasonic should be a nice option. 10 year warranty is also always a plus.