Question 2080 Ti crashes when not limited ?

Jul 30, 2021
Hi All, I am having an issue I hope you can offer some suggestions to.

I have recently swapped my Gigabyte RTX 2070 for a Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti OC which a friend kindly donated after an upgrade! The card worked perfectly for him and I had no issues with my 2070. Looking at PSU calculators I thought it best to upgrade my PSU from 550W to an 850w unit and bought a ROG Thor 850w Platinum PSU.

I swapped out the PSU and the GFX cards and fired up the system. All good. I then ran 3DMark to test run the card, and all good. the card ran faultlessly and raised my graphics score from around 8500 to 12500. Happy days. All running factory clocks etc and the card was boosting nicely to around 1800mhz + from its 1350mhz base.

I then ran the card on Cyberpunk2077 to see what performance increase I got. All good for 10 minutes getting 70 fps average and then, crash to desktop!!
I then tried Control as another heavy load game with RTX. The game crashed as soon as the 3D started , tried this 3 times and the same.

I updated the drivers but this had no effect on the crashes.

I then ran afterburner to see what was happening with clocks etc. and ran Control windowed at 1080p. Everything worked normally.
I then tried limiting the power draw to 95% and the thermal limit to 85 deg c. I ran the game full screen at 1440p full detail and RTX and no issues. I have repeated this with several intense games over the past few days and no issues.

Running the Nvidia monitor I can see the card runs between base clock of 1350 and up to 1850. The GPU utilization sits at 98% max, GPU core is at a steady 80 degC voltage is between 0.9v and 1.1v. I am getting good frames although the card gets hot and sounds like a vacuum cleaner, it is working well. I am concerned though that something is not right and this is not a permanent fix or should be required.

I have 2 separate 8-pin leads to the card from 2 different rails (originally both were on the 1) and the PSU shows a maximum draw of 400-420w (the PSU has a fancy little screen :giggle:) which seems low considering the PSU calculators say I need a minimum of 650W for this setup???

So my questions is are:

1. What would cause this card to crash?
  2. Why is it OK when slightly limited in Afterburner?
  3. Why would it crash in games but not 3DMark
  4. Is this performance of the card and power draw about right?
  5. Anything I can do to sort this other than leave it held back?
Full System Details:

• ASUS MAXIMUS 10 HERO Z370
  • INTEL i7 8700K
  • 32Gb Corsair 3000Mhz RAM
  • Gigabyte RTX2080ti Gaming OC
  • ASUS ROG Thor 850w PSU
  • Corsair H100x cooler
  • 4 x140mm case fans
  • 2x m.2 drives
  • 2x SSD drves
  • 1x HDD
  • Windows 10 64bit
  • GFX drivers 471.41
Thanks in advance for any helpful comments and advice.

Jul 30, 2021
Hi thanks, checked the event viewer and it was showing an NV.dll. Some of the game files showed a loss of Vram files as the crash cause. The card is now not functioning at all after I underclocked the Vram to see if this improved stability :-(

As soon as I dropped 500mhz off the Vram and tested on Timespy it crashed to desktop then started artifacting badly before crashing the PC, it then would not boot and went to the blue start up screen or would start to boot and then crash before windows with artifacts. I can run in safe mode and disabled afterburner on start up but it either boots to the blue windows repair screen or boots to a blank screen.

I have replaced it with my old 2070 and that works fine.

Any ideas on what is up??