[SOLVED] 2080ti does not output video signal at about 60c. Why could it be shutting off?

Aug 27, 2020
Hi all,

I have an ASUS ROG Strix 2080ti that I have installed a waterblock on. My custom loop goes through my CPU and GPU into a 420mm rad.

I have clocked my CPU at 5GHz and my GPU usually clocks at about 2GHz. However, as soon as my GPU reaches about 60c, my monitor goes black, says no signal, but I can still hear and interact with my PC (YouTube, etc). Could it be that I have improperly installed my waterblock (i don't think so as the temp is fine).

So why would my graphics card shut down? I have searched for ages for a bios setting or nvidia one but I can't find anything. Do I need to update my bios or something?

Also, this has only happened recently, and I have cleaned my PC thoroughly, and the problem still persists. Tell me if you need more details!

Thanks so much,
Will

Solution
Hmmm, I'm at a loss honestly. No, it's unlikely it has anything to do with the core. 60'C is far from problematic, and I suspect the issue is going to be a byproduct of 60'C (VRM, VRAM etc), but they're not always strictly linear....VRMs etc won't always hit X temperature everytime the core hits 60'C.

Software is really unlikely - Especially triggered at 60'C. Losing display could be driver related, but to be directly tied to a specific temperature would be strange.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Hmmm, a HX1200i shouldn't be an issue then.

I would't run to undervolt, (although you won't 'ruin' your card ,you'll just reach instability if you go too low).

What block do you have? Potential that it's the power delivery or VRAM getting too hot, with poor (or no) contact to the block. VRAM is less likely, as you'd experience artifacting before losing display.

Aug 27, 2020
I have the EKWB Vector Strix block. I remember putting thermal pads on my VRAM and mosfets. However, I did have to take some glue off of the edges of the core (as instructed), and followed the instructions to spread the paste with a credit card. I doubt its from the GPU core, as the temperature is only reaching 60c. Also, after checking the logs it always crashes at exactly 60c. I guess I could empty the loop and take apart the card, but that is kind of worst case scenario. Could this be a software issue?

Thanks,
Will

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Hmmm, I'm at a loss honestly. No, it's unlikely it has anything to do with the core. 60'C is far from problematic, and I suspect the issue is going to be a byproduct of 60'C (VRM, VRAM etc), but they're not always strictly linear....VRMs etc won't always hit X temperature everytime the core hits 60'C.

Software is really unlikely - Especially triggered at 60'C. Losing display could be driver related, but to be directly tied to a specific temperature would be strange.

Solution

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Mess around with downclocking &/or undervolting anything you can initially (although one step at a time so you can identify what helps specifically). If lowering your VRAM temps let the core temp increase beyond 60'C, it might be time to remount that block & ensure it's making proper contact.

Aug 27, 2020
Yup, sounds good. Honestly I really think its the VRMs getting too hot, I see some dust in them, and also I have my CPU at 5GHz. I'll clean it out, and put my CPU clock back.