Question 2080ti memory temperature too high

Dec 29, 2020
Hello everyone,
after couple of months noticing my 2080ti Aorus Gigabyte had its fans going to max making this loudy noice. So I decided to unmount ,repaste and change thermal pads (used 0'5 mm and 1 mm) with better ones.

GPU temp went back to normal 72C under load, but I noticed my memory is very high like 86 C.

I'm thinking about going to an hybrid watercooling system NZXT G12 + Kraken 63, but I'm still concerned about memory temperature since this model has them in both sides of the GPU. I was considering about putting some aluminium heat sinks on the ram but I'm not sure if they'll make any difference.

Any adivce would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
What thermal paste did you use and what was the aftermarket thermal pads that you'd swapped the factory pads with? Often times what's advertised isn't what you get. I've worked with Fujipoly thermal pads and they are the best you could get at the time. To note, please check and see that the cards isn't sagging and that the pads you've used are flush mounted across the cooling assembly and note if you placed pads on areas where they shouldn't be. Often times, the airflow across a memory chip is enough to keep it cool. Adding a thermal atop that chip will only impeded heat dissipation.

It sounds like “if it works, fix it till it is broken”
Do you have an issue with any games or apps that you use?
You have a chance of bricking the card when you tinker with it - any static discharge or heatsink a little tight and it becomes a brick.
About the pads - memory pads have to be the same width as the original ones, or they will not transfer the heat properly.
About the water cooling solution - it seldom does cover all the components that need cooling - I would stick with original one.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Dec 29, 2020
Last thing I wanted was to unmount my graphic card.

For the last 3 or 4 months every time I was gaming GPU temp went to 85 -90 and fans started to go 100% making such a loud noise that my wife would come from another room to see what I was doing. I was afraid my GPU would eventually die from heat.

That beeing said changing the thermal paste really did the trick, now my GPU never gets past 76 and fans never go past 70 % . But I thought replacing thermal pads with better ones would also help, I may used thiner ones than original. That could be an explanation. I used 1 mm and 0'5 mm, I'll try with 1'5 mm and see if that solves the problem with the memories heat :|

Dec 29, 2020
So, finally I went for an Hybrid cooling solution.

Kraken G16 + X63

To be honest mounting it was easier than I expected. Now under max load GPU 100% Got 56 degrees max for my GPU and 78 on my memory.

It's a bit high for the memory but never goes past that 78, so it's ok for me. Also Pc is much quiet than before.

So couldn't be more satisfied, if anyone is thinking about doing it I can only recommend this kind of hybrd solutions.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So, finally I went for an Hybrid cooling solution.

Kraken G16 + X63

To be honest mounting it was easier than I expected. Now under max load GPU 100% Got 56 degrees max for my GPU and 78 on my memory.

It's a bit high for the memory but never goes past that 78, so it's ok for me. Also Pc is much quiet than before.

So couldn't be more satisfied, if anyone is thinking about doing it I can only recommend this kind of hybrd solutions.
Welcome to the club 🆒(y)

Some thermal tape + memory heatsinks would help if you want to get the memory thermals down more.

FYI, Alphacool does full cover hybrid gpu blocks.