Question 2080ti Performing well below spec

Aug 6, 2020
I have a 2080ti but I have never really done much testing with it in benchmarks. Anyway long story short I upgraded my CPU this week to a Ryzen 3700x and decided to run a Time Spy 3D benchmark to see how my PC stacks up. The CPU comes back with a score of 10335 which seems very much in line with what a 3700x should get you but my 2080ti comes back with a score of 7559 which seems extremely low?

I have had my 2080ti (an Asus GeForce RTX 2080Ti Dual OC 11264MB GDDR6) since launch and while I have not had any specific problems with it I always felt like it wasn't the step up over my 1080 that it should have been and now I'm wondering if I just have a defective card. Or maybe I'm missing something.

Any help/suggestions would be welcome

EDIT: Forgot to add the test was at 1440p with Gsync off

Pic of my settings from 3D mark

Aug 6, 2020
Bit of an update. I have spent most of the day testing it and looking at GPU-Z it never seems to go above 60% TDP or draw more than 170W. My PSU is a Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold that's just over three years old and I am running two separate 6+2 connectors from different rails to it. I have tried running 3D mark with the card running at standard and with an OC scanner overclock on it and the results if anything are better without the OC.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What happens if you:
-unplug the 4K monitor
-run Display Driver Uninstaller to uninstall the current driver
-install the new recommended driver
-go into Nvidia Control Panel and enable either Adaptive or Max Performance power plans
-test again - with the 4K monitor left unplugged?

Aug 6, 2020
What happens if you:
-unplug the 4K monitor
-run Display Driver Uninstaller to uninstall the current driver
-install the new recommended driver
-go into Nvidia Control Panel and enable either Adaptive or Max Performance power plans
-test again - with the 4K monitor left unplugged?

Have tried all those things and none have made any difference unfortunately

Aug 6, 2020
Common, yes. But if your card is capping around 60% of it's TDP, something is wrong.
I suspect VRM thermal throttling.

What happens when you remove your chassis' front, side, top panels, and run the card's fans at 100% off the start?

Ran with the panels off and the fans on full and no appreciable difference.

Took a screenshot of GPUZ at the end of the test if that's of any use:

GPUZ screenshot

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Is it possible to RMA this card? I'm not seeing too many positive reviews for this one.

-Cleaned installed driver, max power plan - nothing.
-Even opened the chassis up, and maxed out the fans, yet still power throttling - but not even close to 100%.
-Performed better without an OC, but I suspect that has to do with the OC triggering power throttling sooner.

The VRMs may not be making proper contact with the heatsink, or they may not have the right size thermal pads - Msi did something like that with their early Evoke models.
Either way, I suspect a contact issue.
In case you didn't know, Nvidia's gpus report thermals as an average of 3: gpu core, memory, and VRMs.

Aug 6, 2020
Is it possible to RMA this card? I'm not seeing too many positive reviews for this one.

-Cleaned installed driver, max power plan - nothing.
-Even opened the chassis up, and maxed out the fans, yet still power throttling - but not even close to 100%.
-Performed better without an OC, but I suspect that has to do with the OC triggering power throttling sooner.

The VRMs may not be making proper contact with the heatsink, or they may not have the right size thermal pads - Msi did something like that with their early Evoke models.
Either way, I suspect a contact issue.
In case you didn't know, Nvidia's gpus report thermals as an average of 3: gpu core, memory, and VRMs.

I can try the RMA route but it's a launch card so i'm not sure what ASUS policy is

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
There should be a 3 year warranty on the card.
You've got to try something. At this point I don't know what else it could be:
-You've fresh installed drivers, via DDU
-Nvidia power plan is on Adaptive or Max
-I assume you're working with a fresh install of Windows, or if not, you've at least reinstalled it after carrying over the C drive from a previous build.
-I asked that you try running with the chassis open and the gpu's fans at max to try and rule out thermal throttling, but SOME kind of throttling was still present; in the manner of power.
-Vsync isn't enabled

I may have overlooked something, but that's what comes to mind at the moment.

EDIT: I forgot to include the reason for unplugging the 4K monitor.
Multi-monitor setups with non-matching native refresh can cause stuttering because the frame buffers can't be synced.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020
There should be a 3 year warranty on the card.
You've got to try something. At this point I don't know what else it could be:
-You've fresh installed drivers, via DDU
-Nvidia power plan is on Adaptive or Max
-I assume you're working with a fresh install of Windows, or if not, you've at least reinstalled it after carrying over the C drive from a previous build.
-I asked that you try running with the chassis open and the gpu's fans at max to try and rule out thermal throttling, but SOME kind of throttling was still present; in the manner of power.
-Vsync isn't enabled

I may have overlooked something, but that's what comes to mind at the moment.

EDIT: I forgot to include the reason for unplugging the 4K monitor.
Multi-monitor setups with non-matching native refresh can cause stuttering because the frame buffers can't be synced.

I actually had not done a clean install of windows but I have just done so and again no change. One thing I notice while running 3D mark again was that even though the TDP is at 55/60% the GPU load was showing as 99%, I'm not sure if that's significant at all.

Aug 6, 2020
Well I've gone ahead and ordered a new card from amazon. If the new card works I can RMA the old one and then sell it on. If the problem persists with the new card I can return it and look for the issue somewhere else.

Aug 6, 2020
Final update (hopefully) got my hands on a 2080 super and that is working fine. Ran 3D mark and got a score over 11,000. Checked GPUZ and it's pulling the full 100% TDP.

Going to RMA the 2080Ti

Thanks for all the help

Reactions: lordmogul

TRENDING THREADS