Question 2080ti Power/Performance Issue

Oct 6, 2019
Hey team,

I've had this 2080ti for about month or two - haven't even got around to overclocking it yet.

Recently (this weekend) I noticed low performance in games. Inspecting the FPS, it looks to have been halved in some situations - running benchmarks like 3dmark gives me 8000-9000 graphics score on TimeSpy when before it would be 15000-16000. CPU score and CPU benchmarks are unchanged.

Looking at the GPU sensors, temp is fine (high 50s at load), usage is fine, what is not fine is Power % - the card starts off with my set power target (117%) but within a few seconds it falls down to 50-60% TDP where it stays. Performance is normal for those first few seconds (high FPS) but falls off with the TDP. PerfCap from GPUz shows how this is happening.
9HUwv4G.png

Have tried changing drivers, even under-clocking the card. I have tried testing from a completely cold card (left computer off overnight, turned on and went straight into 3dmark) and exactly the same behaviour happens (so I don't think this is related to thermals).

Help please!

Oct 6, 2019
Heya - it's a i9 7940x running on a ASUS R6A (so it is power hungry). PSU is a corsair HX850 (about 2 years old).

Have put the CPU back into stock clocks for testing. System is very stable otherwise.

The fact it reaches max power consumption in the first few seconds before being throttled by PerfCap makes me think it's not a PSU issue but I'd love to be wrong as that is an easy fix

Thank you!

Oct 6, 2019
After doing further tests, it appears that the PerfCap: Pwr only appears once the GPU temp reaches 60C and that 50-60% TDP just happens to be the value that keeps it under 60C...