Question 2080Ti thermal throttling with a hotspot of 106c, already changed thermal pads/paste.

crumpet8

Honorable
Jan 5, 2018
The max average temp is 84° but the hotspot making it thermal throttle is at 106°, with the fans jumping to over 4000rpm for a few seconds then back down.
I sent the card back to Gigabyte a while ago for the same issue and when it came back to me it was working fine, but now the issue has come back. My warranty is expired.
I replaced the thermal pads with tg-pp10 thermal putty and I reapplied thermal paste. My overall temperature dropped when I applied the new putty/paste but it's still throttling with that hotspot.

Is there anything else I can do or should I give up and let it keep doing this until it dies so I can buy a new card?

May 16, 2023
The max average temp is 84° but the hotspot making it thermal throttle is at 106°, with the fans jumping to over 4000rpm for a few seconds then back down.
I sent the card back to Gigabyte a while ago for the same issue and when it came back to me it was working fine, but now the issue has come back. My warranty is expired.
I replaced the thermal pads with tg-pp10 thermal putty and I reapplied thermal paste. My overall temperature dropped when I applied the new putty/paste but it's still throttling with that hotspot.

Is there anything else I can do or should I give up and let it keep doing this until it dies so I can buy a new card?
Did you ever find a solution? I just did the same, pads and paste, and still sounds like a vacuum cleaner at avg 75c but hot spot at 106c

crumpet8

Honorable
Jan 5, 2018
Did you ever find a solution? I just did the same, pads and paste, and still sounds like a vacuum cleaner at avg 75c but hot spot at 106c
I didn't. My guess is a part of the card that's not covered by thermal pads is what's overheating, so replacing them doesn't do anything. Undervolting helped a little but didn't actually stop it, only makes it less likely to happen since the card is cooler overall.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I didn't. My guess is a part of the card that's not covered by thermal pads is what's overheating, so replacing them doesn't do anything. Undervolting helped a little but didn't actually stop it, only makes it less likely to happen since the card is cooler overall.
There are multiple sensors on the die. The hot spot is the hottest one at any time.

A gap of ~20C between the 2 is a typical result.
With that in mind, crumpet8's issue was more airflow related, or the gpu cooler's design wasn't that good.
SpoopyBear's card has a gap of ~30C, usually caused by a thermal pad experiment gone wrong - using pads too thick(mm), or too hard(indicated by the w/mK rating).

crumpet8

Honorable
Jan 5, 2018
There are multiple sensors on the die. The hot spot is the hottest one at any time.

A gap of ~20C between the 2 is a typical result.
With that in mind, crumpet8's issue was more airflow related, or the gpu cooler's design wasn't that good.
SpoopyBear's card has a gap of ~30C, usually caused by a thermal pad experiment gone wrong - using pads too thick(mm), or too hard(indicated by the w/mK rating).
It's definitely not airflow. I moved the card to an O11 Air Mini with what has been tested by others as the overall optimal fan setup and the issue is still there. It was a budget 2080 Ti and the cooler design definitely isn't great, but the card didn't have the issue when I first got it so I doubt it's exclusively because of the design.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
with what has been tested by others as the overall optimal fan setup
I don't know what this means, when I, the user, can make cooling better or worse depending on what I do with the hardware.

budget 2080 Ti
I don't know what a budget 2080Ti is. Not trying to be a smart-ass, but cheap doesn't always equate to bottom of the barrel quality.
You posted that it's a Gigabyte, but I don't know the exact model.

the card didn't have the issue when I first got it
The thermal paste the manufacturer uses seems to have a trend of expiring faster on higher power gpus, so a repaste is warranted...
From what I know, some pastes are not as effective on gpu dies compared to cpu IHS, because the smoother surface of the former causes some runoff. Thicker pastes are ideal.
NT-H2 works - I personally use this. Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut, Prolimatech PK-3, Gelid GC Extreme, and Arctic MX-4 also work.
If you're using one of these already, then disregard this.