20x10x40

G

Is the Yamaha 20x10x40 any good? I had heard that their 16x10x32 wasn't any good... so I figured I'd ask.

Why do old people always drive in front of you when you are in a hurry?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yamaha is the kind of company that doesn't change very fast, so I would think they'd have the same problems. I don't know for sure, though.
BTW, nice sig.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Here are some reviews I found at: URL=http://www.cdrlabs.com/review.php3?reviewid=49]CDRLabs[/URL] and <A HREF="http://www.cdrwcentral.com/reviews2/hardware/yamaha/crw2200/index.html" target="_new">CD-RW central</A>.
Haven't read either of them yet, but I'll let you know when I do.

Ok, I read through them both quickly, and it looks like it's a good drive. Noisy (as was the 16x), but solid. The Teac (16x?) outperformed it in very nearly all tests, however (including max speed writing tests). And the Teac is a fair amount cheaper. Course, it's not the same company as Yamaha.
Also, an interesting side note is that the internal SCSI version of the Yamaha drive is actually the IDE drive with a SCSI converter. This isn't a bad thing, as the drive can be used either way. Yamaha is not planning on selling the converter seperately.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by FatBurger on 06/22/01 09:42 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

I recently bought Ricoh MP7200A(20x10x40). I burned a 800mb cd in 5min and 22sec! I have burned up to 10 cds with no problem at all. No problem at all even in fly mode although my cd-r is slave. I stongly recommend you. I never liked Yamaha. I think Ricoh and Plextor cd-rs are the best. On the other hand if you thinking of buying Yamaha here you can find some good information!! www.cdrinfo.com/hardware/yamaha2200e/index.shtml

KRITI

I thought all these vibration factors happened when the CD/RW was reading. If you use a CD-ROM for reading and a CD/RW for the writing, then you get a lot less noise when you arn't writing CDs.

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>