[SOLVED] 21:9 - is it good for non-gaming, "normal" use and productivity purposes?

Kirigato

Reputable
Oct 22, 2016
Hi, I'll try to be concise.

Currently using 24" 16:9 + my macbook pro, I feel like I am lacking space + need a better display (current one is 6 years old), and I'm confused between a new 16:9 or 21:9.

I am confused because:

Cons:
X I don't intend to play 21:9 games in the nearest future
X I won't use it to watch movies
X I won't use any 21:9 optimised program (video/graphic/music editing, etc.)
X I will use it to watch anime, so black bars here I come
X I'll keep my "always on" additional programs, such as Slack, Google Calendar, Spotify, on separate (my current old one) monitor anyway.

Pros:
  • I might want to dive into 21:9 games in the future
  • As a remote project manager, I will benefit from:
-> Better video conferencing
-> Better view using Jira Software (IT tracking tool)
-> From time to time splitting the monitor into half without the need to rearrange my second monitor (for slack+calendar+spotify purposes only / mostly).
  • I do a lot of coding after hours - using 21:9 seems more appealing than 2 monitors
  • I consume a lot of e-learning sources, again, 21:0 seems more appealing than 2 monitors.
  • It looks amazing + I am really curious about this whole "once you try 21:9 you'll never go back" hype (however, I think 80% of the hype is about gaming and movies).
Thinking if 2x 16:9 isn't a better option for me than 21:9.

Opinions? (I know that you won't decide for me and don't have the whole picture), I just wan't to hear your thoughts as "from what you say it seems you should go for ...". Just looking for stimuli to make the decision already, I am a freaking overthinker!

Last edited:
Solution

Currently using 24" 16:9 + my macbook pro, I feel like I am lacking space + need a better display (current one is 6 years old), and I'm confused between a new 16:9 or 21:9.

I am confused because:

Cons:
X I'll keep my "always on" additional programs, such as Slack, Google Calendar, Spotify, on separate (my current old one) monitor anyway.

Pros:
-> Better video...

I am confused because:

Cons:

Pros:
-> From time to time splitting the monitor into half without the need to rearrange my second monitor (for slack+calendar+spotify purposes only / mostly).
  • I do a lot of coding after hours - using 21:9 seems more appealing than 2 monitors
  • I consume a lot of e-learning sources, again, 21:0 seems more appealing than 2 monitors.
  • It looks amazing + I am really curious about this whole "once you try 21:9 you'll never go back" hype (however, I think 80% of the hype is about gaming and movies).

Opinions? (I know that you won't decide for me and don't have the whole picture), I just wan't to hear your thoughts as "from what you say it seems you should go for ...". Just looking for stimuli to make the decision already, I am a freaking overthinker!
personally i dont like 21:9. they are quite expensive and are just not the same amount of screen estate as 2 monitors.
games have horrible scaling so thats a con, not a pro.
although, for coding, i can see the appeal.

and if my anime had black bars on it, i would have quit long ago.\
https://myanimelist.net/animelist/YatoGami312
just throwing it out there

Solution

I am confused because:

Cons:

Pros:

Wouldn't 2 monitors, one landscape one vertical be best for this?

Kirigato

Reputable
Oct 22, 2016
Wouldn't 2 monitors, one landscape one vertical be best for this?
For coding, yes, but I am not that much into coding right now to buy pivot desktop (whose are more expensive here in Poland and I don't see much value added, in the future I might consider one though)

personally i dont like 21:9. they are quite expensive and are just not the same amount of screen estate as 2 monitors.
games have horrible scaling so thats a con, not a pro.
although, for coding, i can see the appeal.

and if my anime had black bars on it, i would have quit long ago.\
https://myanimelist.net/animelist/YatoGami312
just throwing it out there
Well, some games support 21:9 and it's pretty sharp, but again, it's not the priority atm.

About the real estate, just to be clear, I am keeping old in bot scenarios 16:9 24", I love the idea of having slack + calendar + spotify on a separate "passive" screen just to glance at from time to time.

It's about having 21:9 34" as the main monitor + 16:9 24" as support one
vs
16:9 27" as the main monitor + 16:9 24" as support.

Just thinking if 21:9 isn't an overkill if I intend to use 2 monitors anyway.

And when it comes to the price ratio, it's actually not THAT bad, roughly calculating it's somewhere $310 for 16:9 27" vs $500 for 21:9 34", but I am more into usability and if you guys think it's a game changer / big improvement if I use dual monitor and don't game/watch movie. Price is a secondary factor.

it isnt over
For coding, yes, but I am not that much into coding right now to buy pivot desktop (whose are more expensive here in Poland and I don't see much value added, in the future I might consider one though)

Well, some games support 21:9 and it's pretty sharp, but again, it's not the priority atm.

About the real estate, just to be clear, I am keeping old in bot scenarios 16:9 24", I love the idea of having slack + calendar + spotify on a separate "passive" screen just to glance at from time to time.

It's about having 21:9 34" as the main monitor + 16:9 24" as support one
vs
16:9 27" as the main monitor + 16:9 24" as support.

Just thinking if 21:9 isn't an overkill if I intend to use 2 monitors anyway.
it wont be overkill, especially for the things you are trying to do.
but i personally do not like the black bars more than i like more screen.