[SOLVED] $2100 CAD Build, Will these parts work together?

May 2, 2020
Hello! I'd consider myself somewhat confident in PC builds, I've built several back in the day but it's been a good decade and just recently my good ol' 750ti in a $700 build got trashed during moving and it's definitely time for an upgrade!

Here's the list of parts, I'm pretty certain it's good to go, but would love some feedback! I will note, looks do matter to me as gaming is not my primary function, and I stare looking at my PC all day... so RGB it is! (I also don't own anything RGB right now, so this is like super cool for me)

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/HxjYtp

If you do have any suggestions or notice a discrepancy, I'm only using Canadian Newegg for purchasing parts for ease of use, and my monitor is only 1080.

Solution
Not really a discrepancy, but that AIO is expensive for what it offers: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/xpg-levante-240-aio-liquid-cpu-cooler/9.html

Discrepancies:
1)"The AIO does not include a manual way to control it's LEDs, however, so your motherboard must have a 5 V header."
The motherboard you have selected has a 12v RGB header. Plugging a 5v cable into a 12v header will fry the LEDs.
Either select a motherboard with a 5v header, or an RGB AIO with LEDs that use 12v power.

2)Overspending on the power supply. Total system draw is less than 450w.
A good 550 or 650w will do just fine, and you can either spend the difference elsewhere, or keep it.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Not really a discrepancy, but that AIO is expensive for what it offers: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/xpg-levante-240-aio-liquid-cpu-cooler/9.html

Discrepancies:
1)"The AIO does not include a manual way to control it's LEDs, however, so your motherboard must have a 5 V header."
The motherboard you have selected has a 12v RGB header. Plugging a 5v cable into a 12v header will fry the LEDs.
Either select a motherboard with a 5v header, or an RGB AIO with LEDs that use 12v power.

A good 550 or 650w will do just fine, and you can either spend the difference elsewhere, or keep it.

Reactions: Hellfire13
Solution
Do you have a contingency plan for updating the BIOS with a Ryzen 2000 series CPU if the board you linked doesn't come with a Ryzen 3000 BIOS installed?

Aside from boards with the BIOS Flashback feature, MSI's "max" series boards are guaranteed to come with Ryzen 3000 compatible BIOS.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($428.50 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: ADATA XPG LEVANTE 240 61.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($199.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: MSI X470 GAMING PLUS MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($171.60 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($114.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: HP EX950 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($114.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING OC 3X Video Card ($759.00 @ Canada Computers)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: Phanteks AMP 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $2114.04
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-02 00:41 EDT-0400

Reactions: Hellfire13
May 2, 2020

Discrepancies:

Ah thankyou! This is my first EVER going into LED stuff, I had no idea there were different v's for RGB stuff. Just so I know, this would effect the LED on the cooler?
I've been pondering back and forth on different coolers for awhile now, some other ones I was thinking of are: NZXT Kraken M22 https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/fmx2FT/nzxt-kraken-m22-liquid-cpu-cooler-rl-krm22-01

or

Cooler Master ML120R
https://www.newegg.ca/cooler-master-masterliquid-ml120r-rgb-liquid-cooling-system/p/N82E16835103263

May 2, 2020
Do you have a contingency plan for updating the BIOS with a Ryzen 2000 series CPU if the board you linked doesn't come with a Ryzen 3000 BIOS installed?

Aside from boards with the BIOS Flashback feature, MSI's "max" series boards are guaranteed to come with Ryzen 3000 compatible BIOS.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($428.50 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: ADATA XPG LEVANTE 240 61.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($199.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: MSI X470 GAMING PLUS MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($171.60 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($114.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: HP EX950 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($114.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING OC 3X Video Card ($759.00 @ Canada Computers)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: Phanteks AMP 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $2114.04
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-02 00:41 EDT-0400

Hmm, yes I suppose in these times popping over to my friends to update BIOS isn't exactly legal... The Max could be an option, I'll check stock on newegg!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ah thankyou! This is my first EVER going into LED stuff, I had no idea there were different v's for RGB stuff. Just so I know, this would effect the LED on the cooler?
I've been pondering back and forth on different coolers for awhile now, some other ones I was thinking of are: NZXT Kraken M22 https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/fmx2FT/nzxt-kraken-m22-liquid-cpu-cooler-rl-krm22-01

or

Cooler Master ML120R
https://www.newegg.ca/cooler-master-masterliquid-ml120r-rgb-liquid-cooling-system/p/N82E16835103263
1)Yes. Can't control or power the LEDs without it.
2)Neither. You're dipping down to the point that you'd be much better served with an air cooler. 120mm AIOs aren't - well, shouldn't, be recommended anymore.
They weren't worth it when they first launched, and they certainly aren't now.

Due to the circumstances, you don't have too many good RGB 240mm options that are within the price of the one on your list and that are shipped by Newegg:
Deepcool GAMERSTORM CAPTAIN 240X WHITE 64.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240P Mirage 60.95 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

May 2, 2020
1)Yes. Can't control or power the LEDs without it.
2)Neither. You're dipping down to the point that you'd be much better served with an air cooler. 120mm AIOs aren't - well, shouldn't, be recommended anymore.
They weren't worth it when they first launched, and they certainly aren't now.

Due to the circumstances, you don't have too many good RGB 240mm options that are within the price of the one on your list and that are shipped by Newegg:
Deepcool GAMERSTORM CAPTAIN 240X WHITE 64.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240P Mirage 60.95 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Good to know! I've decided to drop a pretty penny going with a Corsair H100i SE, because hey it looks cool and my budget is pretty flexible. Is it necessary? Not really!

Just a question though, the motherboard can support having the LEDs from the case AND cooler, right? I've seen some builds with an RGB controller, I'm not sure if this needs this to function?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
the motherboard can support having the LEDs from the case AND cooler, right? I've seen some builds with an RGB controller, I'm not sure if this needs this to function?
1)Yes.
2)And this is where things get a little complicated. Filling the PC up with the rainbow adds some difficulty to cable management as well as requiring extra controllers/hubs if the motherboard doesn't have enough - or if it has any at all.
If you want to add RGB fans as well, you're going to need an RGB/fan hub like the Corsair Commander Pro, for example, because the AIO's LEDs will have occupied the lone RGB header on the mobo.