Question 2133mhz to 3000mhz

JakubFindra

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
Can i overclock my ram set to 3000mhz? i have HyperX Fury 16gb kit (2x8gb,2133mhz) i tried overclocking it above 2400mhz but no luck, can somebody help?

This was written by Titan "Count Mike" around a year ago here on the forum and given as a "Best Solution"....

"Basic DDR4 frequency is 2133MHz and everything over that is overclocking so you must do some OC if you want RAM faster than that.
Luckily there are XMP (Extreme Memory Profile) built into most RAM nowadays, those are OC presets that BIOS should recognize adn set that OC automatically. Some RAM have 2 or more presets like that. In some AMD based MBs it's also called DOCP.
How high XMP/DOCP is set is up to BIOS and RAM itself.
2nd gen Ryzen has 2933MHz RAM as "Natural frequency" but can run with much higher speed. BIOS and MB permitting, above 3200MHz or 3000MHz with low latency is getting diminishing gains. Not much to be gained with RAM faster than that.
Most MBs have upgraded BIOS version, using AGESA 1006 and can accept even higher RAM frequencies.
My RAM is running just fine at 3600MHz for instance but gains against 3200 Cl4 are minimal in real life. "

This was written by Titan "Count Mike" around a year ago here on the forum and given as a "Best Solution"....

"Basic DDR4 frequency is 2133MHz and everything over that is overclocking so you must do some OC if you want RAM faster than that.
Luckily there are XMP (Extreme Memory Profile) built into most RAM nowadays, those are OC presets that BIOS should recognize adn set that OC automatically. Some RAM have 2 or more presets like that. In some AMD based MBs it's also called DOCP.
2nd gen Ryzen has 2933MHz RAM as "Natural frequency" but can run with much higher speed. BIOS and MB permitting, above 3200MHz or 3000MHz with low latency is getting diminishing gains. Not much to be gained with RAM faster than that.
Most MBs have upgraded BIOS version, using AGESA 1006 and can accept even higher RAM frequencies.
My RAM is running just fine at 3600MHz for instance but gains against 3200 Cl4 are minimal in real life. "

I also have a Ryzen 2700 the x version and with the base clock set to 4,2Ghz, runs like a dream at 3000Mhz with 32Gb (4x8)Corsiar Vengence sticks on A Asus Rog 470x Mobo.

Last edited:

JakubFindra

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019

I also have a Ryzen 2700 the x version and with the base clock set to 4,2Ghz, runs like a dream at 3000Mhz with 32Gb (4x8)Corsiar Vengence sticks on A Asus Rog 470x Mobo.
so it helps when i run on 3200mhz on r7 2700, thanks

so it helps when i run on 3200mhz on r7 2700, thanks

Well as it says above over 3000mhz the returns in performance you get over more heat etc are very small indeed. It will be a long hard road to get a 2133 kit to 3000....voltages, timings...uugghh!!! and what Mobo do you have anyway, that will determine if it is possible at all. A B450f is not going to get you there....

Gaming and browsing you will notice no difference at 3000 or 3200mhz, a few frames at best. There your GPU is going to make a much bigger impact.

This may help you... Ryzen D-RAM calculator

Last edited: