2200+ bottleneck for R9800?

Myrrdin

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2004
I'm finally in the market for a new GFX card since my Gf3 has begun to feel quite rusty. The cards I'm choosing between at the moment are the Radeon 9600XT and plain 9800. Of course the 9800 is the faster one, but it's also a bit more expensive. Since I have an Athlon 2200+ (wich won't be upgraded in the foreseeable future) I'm worried that the processor would become a bottleneck if I went with the 9800. Would it?

PS: The 9700 isn't an option since retailers here in Sweden seems to have picked up its greatness very quickly, leading to the price levels of that card being overly inflated.

No.

Get the R9800. The only way your XP2200+ will be a 'bottleneck' is in benchmarking, and then the R9800 is a bottle neck compared to an R9800XT with phase-change cooling. Game play should be fine on just about any game.

More and more games will focus primarily on the ower of the VPU for the Graphics, and leave the CPU to things like AI, Mapping, and Multi-player, etc.

If you can afford the R9800, then get it. Then when you upgrade your CPU, you won't feel the need to upgrade your Graphics card too. Take a look at the benchmarks and see the significant difference between the <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/vga-charts-03.html#unreal_tournament_2003" target="_new">R9600XT and R9800</A>, and then compare that to the minimal difference between an <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030210/barton-15.html" target="_new">XP 2000+ and an XP 3000+</A>.

So I wouldn't worry about your CPU. Heck in a year you'll be able to pop in a 3000+ (if you have support for the 166FSB) for the price of a few cases of beer.

BTW, I wouldn't worry about the R9700Pro, if you get a TRUE R9800 (not an SE) then it will perform about the same as an R9700Pro, and also have some aditional features not availbile on the R300.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Myrrdin

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2004
Thanks for the reply. Will probably go for the 9800 then. Will be darn nice to play some games without stuttering again. And I'll probably notice quite the improvement when working with 3D too. =)

pauldh

Illustrious
As GreatGrapeApe said, you want the true Radeon 9800 (non-pro) and not a Radeon 9800se. Avoid the SE!

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9500 Pro, Santa Cruz, Antec 1000AMG, TruePower 430watt

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
<b>9800 non pro/XP2100+</b>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=1819095" target="_new">http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=1819095</A>

<b>I help because you suck</b>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
There was no palomino 2200+. I think you're talking about T-bred "A" 2200+

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>

Vimp

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2003
Personaly I think every computer has some bottle neck in it. Its unlikly that any computer configuration will make 100% effeciency of all its components. So Im sure that a +2200 may very well be a bottleneck for games that require good use of the R9800. But will it be anything noticable? Probably not. Maybe you'll get a couple frames per second less then you would with a better processor but thats hardly a reason to get the R9600XT instead of the R9800. But then the same might be said if you were to get the R9600XT. Perhaps if you get the R9600XT then it will be the bottleneck preventing your Processor from being fully utilised. I'm guessing that what you meant is will there be any significant bottleneck, and even then its all a matter of opinion. For some a bottle neck is signifecant only when something can only reach 50% of its potential due to something holding it back. But something being held back by only 1% is still a bottleneck technically.

Myrrdin

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2004
Thanks for the benchie GW! You have a rig very similar to mine, except I have a slower CPU and a bit more memory, useful info in any case though.

And Vimp, I see what you're getting at. Sure, technically there are bottlenecks in all computers at all times. But after all, the 9800 is some $100+ more expensive than the 9600XT. (Here in Sweden anyway, and I gather that it could be a hell on earth trying to return a faulty product from overseas.) If my CPU were a significant bottleneck for a 9800 I think that it would make no sense to buy it, since I could spend those $$$ (or rather crowns) in a better way buying a neat next generation card when I finally upgraded my CPU. But as I said, you right in that virtually all computers have bottlenecks, somewhere, all the time.

Speaking of nextgen cards. When I bought my (then) top of the line GF3 Ti500 I made the mistake of not doing my homework. So no more than a month after my purchase the next generation of cards was released, resulting in significant price cuts for the prior generation and new top of the line cards going for almost the same price as my Gf3. Needless to say, this is a mistake I don't want to make again. I have been browsing some tech sites and such but haven't really found any good or definite info on when to expect the next generation. So if there are anyone willing to share some info on this I would be very grateful.

Thanks for all the replies, you guys are very helpful. =)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Myrrdin on 01/19/04 09:28 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

except I have a slower CPU and a bit more memory
No, no, what GW is trying to tell you is what you CAN do with an XP2100+ (SLOWER than yours) and an R9800. His CPU appears to be faster (well it is effectively faster, and running faster), but it stated out as a LOWER level AthlonXP. That is the joy of Overclocking. His FSB is running at 155, whereas yours is likely running at 133. So you can probably get some good performance increase from a good overclock (although I wouldn't go as high as GW if I were you as you're still a relative virgin in these things).

The main thing to consider about your upgrade is whether you can use it now. If not wait, if so, then the R9800 is a safe choice. It will tide you over until 2005. If you continue to wait you won't see much reduction in the price of the R9800 line, and yet the next level of card will come out an be out of your reach until 2005. I would recommend an R9800, it's a wise investment that will do well for the forseable future.

What to expect for the next generation, Serious Performance increase, and SERIOUS price tag.
Also expect bugs and issues for the first 1-3 months while the R42X and NV4X test the waters.

Good Luck!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
(although I wouldn't go as high as GW if I were you as you're still a relative virgin in these things)
My FSB goes higher, and increases my benchmark scores, but crashes my system in UT2K3, so I try to post scores from only stable overclocks.

<b>I help because you suck</b>

Yeah, and that's a good way to go.

Considering that other knob was posting results WITH artifacts it makes me laugh at the 'integrity' of the rest of us. :lol:

Main thing is overall stability and useability.