23" Apple Cinema HD on PC with ATI 9700 Pro

I have been using this combination for over a year. Worked great in
Windows but could never see the bootup screen or DOS text. Whenever I
needed to play with the BIOS or reinstall windows or certain drivers I
had to drag another monitor over, a real pain.

Anyway after I year the problem is fixed. I was able to flash the
BIOS of my 9700 Pro card (made by Hercules) and problem has resolved.
I had to do the flash twice for some reason, then I had to remove and
reinstall the Catalyst drivers, but now for the first time I can see
the bootup screen and then WinXP loads at 1920 x 1200 in DVI mode!

If anyone else has had a similar problem let me know, I can send you
the necessary files for upgrading. Be aware I only have the files for
the 9700 Pro...

Eric Kovalsky <ekovalsky@cox.net> writes:

> I have been using this combination for over a year. Worked great in
> Windows but could never see the bootup screen or DOS text. Whenever I
> needed to play with the BIOS or reinstall windows or certain drivers I
> had to drag another monitor over, a real pain.
>
> Anyway after I year the problem is fixed. I was able to flash the
> BIOS of my 9700 Pro card (made by Hercules) and problem has resolved.
> I had to do the flash twice for some reason, then I had to remove and
> reinstall the Catalyst drivers, but now for the first time I can see
> the bootup screen and then WinXP loads at 1920 x 1200 in DVI mode!
>
> If anyone else has had a similar problem let me know, I can send you
> the necessary files for upgrading. Be aware I only have the files for
> the 9700 Pro...

Cool. Where did you get this BIOS? I know you can download Catalyst,
but that is just drivers, right? I want the actual BIOS for the video
card. I'm using Radeon 7500, and 8500, both "made by ATI".

Thanks for the info...
Richard

The BIOS is taken from a "Made by ATI" 9700 Pro which worked with the
monitor from the get go. Seems that a lot of other 9700 Pro cards
made by others (including my Hercules card) had slightly different
BIOS code which wasn't compatible with the Cinema HD unless the
Windows driver had loaded.

If you want the BIOS file and the utility to flash your card, email
me.

There is always some risk when flashing the card of course. I decided
to take it with mine, because the problem has been very frustrating
(I'm an overclocker) and I was considering selling the monitor for the
Samsung 243T. I probably will get a nVidia 6800 Ultra later in the
year, mainly for 1920x1200 play in Far Cry, but for now the flashed
9700 Pro is making me happy!