233 days of power on, but only 7 start/stop count. Is this legit?

Kepalajamuran

Reputable
Apr 20, 2017
I found a cheap 3TB WD Red hard drive for sale. But i found the screen shot of it's Sentinel analysis is fishy:
image.jpg
only 7 start/stop count of it's 233 days of power on.

What dou you think, should i buy it?

Solution
I have a couple of 3tB WD Red drives as well as a some 6tb variants in my Drobo 5N and , though I'm not going to remove one to check, it is almost certain that I'd find the same sort of numbers since the only times it is down is when there is an out-and-out power failure and some of these drives go back to 2014 running 24X7. Server use is just like that. OK, that said, I don't know that I'd trust buying a used drive that didn't have some sort of enforceable guarantee/warranty -- new drives are relatively cheap and data is valuable.

jmcgaw

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
I have a couple of 3tB WD Red drives as well as a some 6tb variants in my Drobo 5N and , though I'm not going to remove one to check, it is almost certain that I'd find the same sort of numbers since the only times it is down is when there is an out-and-out power failure and some of these drives go back to 2014 running 24X7. Server use is just like that. OK, that said, I don't know that I'd trust buying a used drive that didn't have some sort of enforceable guarantee/warranty -- new drives are relatively cheap and data is valuable.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

Right.
Unless this 3TB were under $40, I wouldn't.