[SOLVED] 24+4 pin power supply to a 32 pin motherboard

jozeftierney

Reputable
May 4, 2018
I'm having some issues with a server and the next thing I'm trying is replacing the power supply. We had someone else build the server with the components we bought and I realized that only 28 pins of the 32 pins for power on the motherboard are occupied. I hadn't realized that was a possibility, could that have any relation to power issues the server could be having? Is it alright if the power supply I replace it with is also only 28 pin or should I make sure to find one that has 32 pins?

The power supply, chassis and motherboard were bought as a unit (ASUS rs100-e9-pi2) so I guess what I'm really asking is should the replacement PSU also be 28 or would 32 be better. I'm planning to get one with higher wattage, something like this https://www.newegg.ca/athena-power-ap-mfatx30p8-300w-flexatx/p/N82E16817338053

System specs:
Windows server 2016 essentials
Intel Xeon 1230 V5
Windows server essentials 2016
2 x 16 gigs KVR24E17D8/16 kingston RAM
250W single power supply
2 x 1TB SSDs
ASUS E131875 250W power supply
ASUS-P10S-M-DC Server Mother Board
Running through an APC UPS

Solution
page 2-34 of your manual says to use a 24 plus 8 pin for the board. Although some boards do state that you can use only a 4 pin in the 8pin slot this one does not say its ok to do that. I would highly recommend using a 24 + 8 or 32 pin as you call it for that board.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Umm, that is the direct CPU power, a typical 4+4pin EPS connector. Just happens to be next to the ATX connector on that board. You can also note that VRMs are moved closer to the incoming power. Absolutely necessary for operation in most systems.

You might just examine the power supply you have and see if it has an 8-pin or 4+4pin connector already. Though the larger versions of that power supply you linked seem to have it.

page 2-34 of your manual says to use a 24 plus 8 pin for the board. Although some boards do state that you can use only a 4 pin in the 8pin slot this one does not say its ok to do that. I would highly recommend using a 24 + 8 or 32 pin as you call it for that board.

Solution

jozeftierney

Reputable
May 4, 2018
Umm, that is the direct CPU power, a typical 4+4pin EPS connector. Just happens to be next to the ATX connector on that board. You can also note that VRMs are moved closer to the incoming power. Absolutely necessary for operation in most systems.

You might just examine the power supply you have and see if it has an 8-pin or 4+4pin connector already. Though the larger versions of that power supply you linked seem to have it.

Would only having 4 of the 8 pins filled cause problems? I'll have to wait till the server isn't in use to poke around inside it again but as ASUS sells them as unit it would be weird for them to not be compatible

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It could, depends on the CPU power draw. But usually they put it there for a reason. I can't recall a motherboard I've bought in the last few years that didn't take an 8-pin connector. Only ones that got away with just a 4-pin were lighter boards designed for low output CPUs.

Xeon 1230 V5 should be an 80W TDP part, but that doesn't mean it can't exceed that power level. Then there is whatever the rest of the system pulls. If the 12V gets dragged low enough it could certainly cause stability issues.

jozeftierney

Reputable
May 4, 2018
ASUS customer service just got back to me and let me know while the PSU included with the unit is only 24+4 pins they recommend the motherboard have 24+8 for the supply and it could be the cause of our issue.

Ordering a new power supply asap, thanks for the feedback!

TRENDING THREADS