[SOLVED] 24.5" or 27" monitor at 1080p?

Nexus180

Commendable
Jun 4, 2020
Hi all - this is my first post so I hope I have got the right forum. I currently have a fairly old 23" 1080p widescreen monitor (Ilyama ProLite X2377HDS) that I would like to upgrade. I use it for both work (using Outlook, Word and occasionally Excel) and casual but v regular gaming (primarily FPS/ RPG type games - in particular Red Dead 2, which I am personally content running with pretty high graphics settings at about 40FPS).

For the gaming side of things (and to a degree split-screen work use) I would ideally like a larger monitor and so have been considering a 27" (I sit about 30" away from the screen, which I gather should be OK). However, I gather my PC (basic specs below) would not be able to manage 1440p - and that the picture quality on a 27" at 1080p might be v poor? I have also seen comments that with a 27" at 1080p it might make work difficult, with blurred words etc?

So I would be v grateful for any views/ experience on this - and whether I might, for example, be better off upgrading to a 24.5" monitor as a compromise? I won't really want (well, my wife won't really want!) to spend more than about £200 on the monitor, so my options may be limited in any event (and hence why upgrading my GPU to cope with 1440p isn't really an option).

Any help gratefully received! My specs:

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

Solution
I use a 34" 2560x1080P which has the same PPI as a 27" 16:9 1080P monitor which works great for gaming but I can see were some may not like the text on the screen however I don't think it's really an issue after adjusting Windows Cleartype. Your best bet is to try to be able to see the differences in person and decide for yourself what will be the best option.

A ultrawide could be a good fit but I think 25" is far too small vertically and would only recommend 29"+ for 21:9.

This would be the ultrawide I'd recommend, I have the 34" version of this and absolutely love it. The Freesync/Nvidia GPU setup works great and I find 75hz good for RPG's/MMOs.

PCPartPicker Part List
Monitor: LG 29WK600-W 29.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz...

WildCard999

Titan
I use a 34" 2560x1080P which has the same PPI as a 27" 16:9 1080P monitor which works great for gaming but I can see were some may not like the text on the screen however I don't think it's really an issue after adjusting Windows Cleartype. Your best bet is to try to be able to see the differences in person and decide for yourself what will be the best option.

A ultrawide could be a good fit but I think 25" is far too small vertically and would only recommend 29"+ for 21:9.

This would be the ultrawide I'd recommend, I have the 34" version of this and absolutely love it. The Freesync/Nvidia GPU setup works great and I find 75hz good for RPG's/MMOs.

PCPartPicker Part List
Monitor: LG 29WK600-W 29.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz Monitor (£249.97 @ Laptops Direct)
Total: £249.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-04 16:18 BST+0100

If you decide on this monitor or a Freesync monitor with DisplayPort then you should have no issues running it with your 1060.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/how-to-run-gsync-on-freesync-monitor,6072.html

Last edited:
Solution

Nexus180

Commendable
Jun 4, 2020
Wow - thanks for the super quick replies. WildCard - I have just had a quick look and I could get the 29" monitor you mention for £195, which I think I could stretch to and I'd love a 29" display - do you really think my 1060 3GB would be able to handle it OK?

WildCard999

Titan
Wow - thanks for the super quick replies. WildCard - I have just had a quick look and I could get the 29" monitor you mention for £195, which I think I could stretch to and I'd love a 29" display - do you really think my 1060 3GB would be able to handle it OK?
That would be a good price for that model LG. As for the 1060 3gb you'll probably be playing close to your current graphic settings with them maybe slightly lowered but Freesync helps with any FPS dips and screen tearing. The vertical height on that 29" ultrawide would be close to your current monitor so if you have the desk space you could use both monitors if you wanted the extra screen space but I would just use the 29 ultrawide for gaming.

WildCard999

Titan
Great - just ordered one; fingers crossed! Thanks
Nice! From personal experience LG seems to have some of the best out of the box presets so you shouldn't need to adjust it much and remember you'll need a DisplayPort cable for Freesync. The only thing I don't bother with on that LG is HDR as it's a lower frequency and Windows and even the HDR supported games didn't look better then non HDR options. If your coming from a TN panel though your going to see much more vibrant colors on this IPS monitor.

Nexus180

Commendable
Jun 4, 2020
Thanks again- I've not even heard of a display port cable before (although I gather the 1060 has a port for one)- is there anything in particular I need to look out for when ordering one?