Question 24 case fans. I'm lost

Cybereyes

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
So its that time again for me to build a new rig and this time I decided to pull out all the stops. I'm almost completely stuffed a Corsair Obsidian D case and the only thing I have left to do is bend my PETG tubing and install it all and then wire of my fans. Out of it all the fans are the most intimidating part to me aside from installing the hard tubing. I have two radiators up front with 16 120 mm fans on them all pulling air in. I have One radiator up top with six more 140mm fans pushing air out, and finally two 120mm in the back pushing air out as well. I've managed to tie all of these fan cables together in a neat wad to the back of the case but I have no idea how I'm going to get them all powered and working. Most of the fans are CorsaIr but I do have a few EK Varda fans that I bought with my Rads. The case comes with one Corsair commander Pro and almost all of the 3 pack corsair fans came with the little 6 fan RGB hun and two port lighting node, which I don't want to use at all if I can help it. Can I buy 2 more commander pros and use a couple of splitters and get away with it. I'm really confused on how all the wiring works on these fans honestly. My motherboard is MSI MEG X570 Ace which has a CPU fan, Pump fan, and 5 Sys fan connectors. Currently I have two SATA power connectors laying un-used but can connect some more if I have to, but would rather avoid If I can because of the way I have my vertical mounted GPU kind of makes it a pain to get to the PSU. Either way each fan has two cables one labeled as RGB and the other appears to be a USB connection, but the commander pro only has two slots of LED and the six positions for fans. Am I somehow daisy chaining all those other RGB cables, and what do I do with the two USB hubs on the other side of the commander pro? I tried looking up some videos but what I have found so far are pretty dated. I just need to wrap my head around the mechanics of how its supposed to get power and be controlled and I need to do it for 24 fans.

Cybereyes

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
24 fans?

Why?
More is not always better.

Ok thanks. Not really asking what the appropriate amount of fans are to cool the case. I have three radiators which is likely overkill too. I also have a MSI RTX 3080 Ti which is likely overkill for any game I'm playing. I have a AMD 5950x which is likely overkill as well. I bought 4 strips of Trident Z Royal which I know is overkill but it looks badass. I saw a similar build online and I like it. That about sums it up. I have the money and wanted to build an over the top rig. I'm just a little confused on how the fans work. Is anyone here able to help or should I try somewhere else perhaps? So far I think the fan power can go to the Commander pro and I should be able to use a 3 way splitter and connect 3 fans per slot giving me 16 fans for 1 commander pro if it can handle the power. My other RGB wire I assume goes to an RGB hub which I have plenty of, but then there is an LED hub in the box as well which I have no idea what is for or if its needed. If I'm not using LED strips can I avoid that? Which means I might need one more commander pro, a few more 3 way splitters and four RGB hubs, and then 5 additional SATA connectors for the four RGB hubs and the extra Commander pro. Am I getting close to this anyone?

Cybereyes

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
Your overkill is way outside my wheelhouse, so....good luck.
Maybe someone else will chime in.

Sounds good, thanks. I'm kind of just winging it at this point. I ordered another commander pro and will be running 2 way splitters on all the fan slots and will have 12 fans per commander. Each fan is .30 amp and its 1 amp per slot max and supposedly 4.5 amp total but I'm still within range with 12 fans. Then I will have to have four RGB hubs to connect all the RGB cables to and I've already added the extra SATA power plugs so I'm good there. Still not sure what the LED things are so I guess they aren't getting added.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
This
Sounds good, thanks. I'm kind of just winging it at this point. I ordered another commander pro and will be running 2 way splitters on all the fan slots and will have 12 fans per commander. Each fan is .30 amp and its 1 amp per slot max and supposedly 4.5 amp total but I'm still within range with 12 fans. Then I will have to have four RGB hubs to connect all the RGB cables to and I've already added the extra SATA power plugs so I'm good there. Still not sure what the LED things are so I guess they aren't getting added.
Is not specific for what your doing but the general concept.

https://content.invisioncic.com/p31...gram.png.3f70a786eee0b490cbe8f38563917cf2.png

kanewolf

Titan
I think you are going to want to add hardware to group your fans. You want all 8 (maybe all 16) fans on the front to speed up as a group. I don't think you want individual fan control.
Following this path, you have a "front" group, a "top" group" and the "back" group. Just three logical devices. I don't have a recommendation for hardware, but just a philosophy to help you conceptualize your problem.

Cybereyes

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
I think you are going to want to add hardware to group your fans. You want all 8 (maybe all 16) fans on the front to speed up as a group. I don't think you want individual fan control.
Following this path, you have a "front" group, a "top" group" and the "back" group. Just three logical devices. I don't have a recommendation for hardware, but just a philosophy to help you conceptualize your problem.

Yes exactly what I want. I really am not that concerned about individual control of even the colors. If the entire 24 fans were in sync color wise that would be fine by me. But grouping them in the way you described would be nice. I just don't have any idea how to go about that, I think I can get away with putting as many as 12 fans on one Commander pro but I have 16 just in the front. I think I read somewhere about a device for fan control but I'm just scratching the surface on learning about what those are or what they do. Just started trying to bend tubing today.

Cybereyes

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013

I just bought two DeepCool FH10 fan hubs. I plan to put the 8 fans on the left front rad on one and the 8 fans on the right front rad on the other. I will put the 6 fans on the top rad and the two rear fans on my current commander pro and use two splitters to get all 8 on one commander pro, and then return the commander pro I just bought. I think this will at least give me three groupings. Two front and one for top and rear since it appears the Deepcool system controls all fans connected as one fan. If anyone reading this sees any errors in my line of thinking or has a better way please chime in. My biggest issue now is trying to separate all the wires so I can see which are coming from which side. I grouped them top front and back on both rads but in the end they are all wrapped up in one bundle. Fun fun.

Cybereyes

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
This

Is not specific for what your doing but the general concept.

https://content.invisioncic.com/p31...gram.png.3f70a786eee0b490cbe8f38563917cf2.png

That is actually very helpful, but I am confused as to how the SATA power is only connected to the commander pro and commander core. None of the RGB hubs to the DeepCool Hubs have any power directly to them according to the schematic anyway. How do they get away with that? Very interesting concept though to have the Deep cools plugged into the commander pro. Something to think about I guess as far as what I see in bios for fan control. I still have another commander pro coming I'm just curious about the power situation. I have planned on directly powering all hubs even if they are daisy chained as I have enough SATA ports now.

Edit: I do see the RGB hubs are SATA powered, but not the Deep Cools which are both plugged into the commander pro. I mean technically they only have 12 fans plugged in to two Deep cools which seems odd to me. The commander pro would run the 12 fans no problem as that is only about 3.6 amps. but I just don't know why you are doing it that way instead of just using the deep cools themselves and eliminating the commander core. Is there a benefit to having it plugged in to the commander pro?

On the plus side, I think burying my head into this finally I am starting to see the patterns and how it works. I have honestly been so consumed with all the rest of the build and trying to figure out the water cooling part that I haven't had time to dig into what it takes to power and manage 24 fans.

Last edited:

Cybereyes

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
Well I got it all hooked up. Looks great. Fans all work but the RGB isn't working, but I assume that is something you have to set up in bios or something which I cannot get into since my motherboard is telling me is isn't detecting my CPU. So I'm going to go on over to another section of this forum and ask some questions before I start tearing it down tomorrow to get the CPU out to inspect. The part of water cooling that almost makes it not worth it. Below is a pic

IMG-4832-1