Question 24 gb ram - Only 8 GB usable. What's wrong?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2020
I'm not the first person asking, and I'm sure I won't be the last one either. RAM always seems to give out issues. I bought my PC 5 years ago... with 16 gb ram, and recently it has had some issues, wouldn't start, and took it to some technicians, which fixed it. This lead to me discovering that during all of the time i've used my PC, I've only used 8 GB out of the 16 available. Technicians added 8 more GB, and yet task manager STILL. says. I can only use 8 gb. so does the bios (which briefly said 16 gb at one point but then crashed...?) what do you guys reccomend?

some info from cpu-z: motherboard asustek computer inc p9x79
ddr3 ram, channel dual, size 24 gb. dram frequency 799.9 mhz

spd 3 slots
1 : 8192 mb ddr3 team group inc dual 800 mhz
2: 8192 mb ddr3 kingston dual 667 mhz
3: same as above

Jan 21, 2020
So when you switch their position (B1 to D1 and D1 to B1 ) there was no changed. Correct?
If that's correct then the RAM modules are working.
Either the RAM is incompatible or the CPU is not seating properly or the CPU socket may have a bent pin.
Haven't tested that yet, I'll try in around 3-4 hours and update

Jan 21, 2020
So when you switch their position (B1 to D1 and D1 to B1 ) there was no changed. Correct?
If that's correct then the RAM modules are working.
Either the RAM is incompatible or the CPU is not seating properly or the CPU socket may have a bent pin.

Just tested it, yes, there were no changes. Both are ""detected"" yet one only is used. Tried B1 D1, reverse, and C1 D1.

Jan 21, 2020
That RAM might not be compatible or the CPU is not seating properly (causing the memory controller to not function properly) or the RAM slot is damaged.
What do you suggest? Another thing I noticed is that CPU-Z says ram's max bandwidth is 667 mhz even though the KHX1600C10D3 should have it at 1600, or am I wrong?

What do you suggest?
First, I would check that the CPU and CPU socket are in perfect condition and that the CPU is properly seating on the socket.

You might need to manually set timings and voltage in the BIOS, since that RAM is not tested on that motherboard and that board is a little picky with RAM.
To run at 1600 MHz you might have to manually set latency timing of 10-10-10 and voltage to 1.5V
To run at 1333 MHz you might have to manually set latency timing of 9-9-9 and voltage to 1.5V.

Another thing I noticed is that CPU-Z says ram's max bandwidth is 667 mhz even though the KHX1600C10D3 should have it at 1600, or am I wrong?
You should have posted the model from the start when I asked.
The KHX1600C10D3 is a 1600 MHz RAM which could also run at 1333 MHz depending on the settings on the motherboard.
On your first post you stated that the RAM was 8GB Kingston 667 MHz, which translated into 1333 MHz Dual channel. Since the RAM is running in single channel it runs at 667 MHz.
Is that the model number on the sticker of the RAM?
Could you take a photo of the sticker and post it here?

If you are not successful, then purchase a RAM kit from the list on the motherboard manual.

Jan 21, 2020
First, I would check that the CPU and CPU socket are in perfect condition and that the CPU is properly seating on the socket.

You might need to manually set timings and voltage in the BIOS, since that RAM is not tested on that motherboard and that board is a little picky with RAM.
To run at 1600 MHz you might have to manually set latency timing of 10-10-10 and voltage to 1.5V
To run at 1333 MHz you might have to manually set latency timing of 9-9-9 and voltage to 1.5V.

The KHX1600C10D3 is a 1600 MHz RAM which could also run at 1333 MHz depending on the settings on the motherboard.
On your first post you stated that the RAM was 8GB Kingston 667 MHz, which translated into 1333 MHz Dual channel. Since the RAM is running in single channel it runs at 667 MHz.

If you are not successful, then purchase a RAM kit from the list on the motherboard manual.
khx16c10b1rk2/16 is what's on the sticker
cpu-z says "part number: khx1600c10d3/8gx" for each
when ill get back to BIOS I'll try both settings and see if that changes anything

Jan 21, 2020

Setting DRAM frequency from 1333Hz (on bios) to "Auto" has managed to let me use both the 8 GB. Happiness is through the roof. You have no idea how much of an amazing person you are :)

Jan 21, 2020
Thanks for the kind words, I am just glad that you were able to fix the issue.
Hey sorry if I bother you again but i had just bought a 4-set of 4 gb corsair ram , inserted in my pc and everything worked fine
until it crashed and upon restarting only 12 gb out of the 16 was available! (even rhough all 4 were detected)

so today i woke up and moved all ram sticks "one step forward" (and backwards for the other side)
so instead of them all being in blue ram spots, they would be on the black ones
(i did this because i realized that since the ram is new and cant be broken, its definitely one of the ram spots messing up)

restarted pc and power saving mode
so removed all ram and placedonly one ram on d1 but same thing

placed only one to the left most ram spot
same thing

so basically im stuck again :(

Jan 21, 2020
i managed to turn it back on with 1 ram stick, put on all 4 , worked with all 16 gb for a minute, bsod, turned back on again, only 12 gb worked but im not gonna risk aynthing for now. i did everything i could, im surprised i turned it back on

i managed to turn it back on with 1 ram stick, put on all 4 , worked with all 16 gb for a minute, bsod, turned back on again, only 12 gb worked but im not gonna risk aynthing for now. i did everything i could, im surprised i turned it back on
As you previously did with the 4GB sticks, place the RAM on blue slots.
Enter the BIOS and configure the RAM manually as per RAM specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.