24 Gigs of Ram Enough Psu?

SLShermon

Honorable
May 28, 2012
I want to put 24 gigs of ram in my home build pc, i already have 8 gigs of vengeance ram. I dont know if i have enough psu (500w) to do this, any help would be great!

PC specs-
BioStar TZ77A motherboard
i5 3570k 3.8ghz
8gb vengance ram
Evga Gtx 560
Corsair Builder Series 500w psu
750gb hardrive
Window 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Sure. Additional RAM doesn't really affect power usage at all, as far as I'm aware.

The one thing I'll say to this though, is why 24GB? That's an odd number that's not necessarily optimal. 2, 4, 8, 16, and 32 are really the most optimal configs.

With 24GB, you're running an 8GB kit with a 16GB kit. Not optimal at all. Not saying that it will definitely cause problems, but the sheer fact that they will be mismatched sets is a cause for concern. Mismatched sets have a habit of causing a lot of headaches and mismatched sets of completely different sized kits (even from the same manufacturer/product line) are even worse.

When adding two more DDR3 memory modules, usually 7 Watts more should be added to the system power consumption total.

24 GB is not mismatched as long as both pairs of memory modules can operate at the same memory timings and operating voltage and are placed in the correct motherboard memory slots so that dual channel operating mode is functioning.

The Corsair Builder Series 500W should have no problem handling the additional two 8GB memory modules.

Yes, but you have to admit that even an exact pairing of kits (all things being exact and equal and they won't be in this case, without some modification of settings), but manufactured at different times is unwise. It'll probably work without issue, but that still doesn't mean that it's the best thing to do.

Since when did the OP ever ask if it's the best thing to do?

Even buying a Quad channel memory kit, where all four modules are supposedly matched, doesn't guarantee it will work properly with all motherboards.

He didn't, I'm just interjecting with my own opinion on it, and from knowing what I know about mismatched RAM causing stability issues.

And I know that even perfectly matched Quad Channel kits aren't infallible. There will always be an outlier in everything.

booyaah

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I initially bought Triple Channel 3x8 GB Ram Kit for my home server thinking that would be a decent amount to start out with. Then I realized you actually needed a triple channel kit for each processor (server board with dual sockets), so I was like wth and bought another 24 GB kit to run on the 2nd processor's DIMM slots.

Turns out running 12-15 VMs simultaneously even after fine tweaking the dynamic RAM settings I sit at 26 GB on idle load so upping to 48 GB was a good idea. I have no idea why you would need anything more than 16 GB on a gaming rig though...

SLShermon

Honorable
May 28, 2012

I don't have enough slots to add any more is why i want 24 gb, and if it is the corsair vengance series wouldn't work together well if i'm not mixing and matching different types. If you think it might give me problems ill probably just go up to 16gb 2x4 cards like i already have. Thanks for response

SLShermon

Honorable
May 28, 2012

This is my backup pc that i plan on running a server off of, and also use it for friends to play games on when they come over, explaining the 560.

irvinth

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
i would reccomend you to buy corsair hx 850w its 80 plus silver and the load efficiency is 88 look up at newegg its 5 star rating and it is a really good psu for your system i have one personally and it runs smoothly no shutdown whatsoever

alexpim96

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012

can i just but in here and say, although that psu is massive overkill for my pc,it is absolutly brilliant, really quiet and hardly any heat! 5*