24 inch or 27 inch monitor for gaming @1080?

jonny99961

Reputable
Apr 30, 2015
Hello, so i am confused between the two:

Benq XL2411Z and Benq XL2720Z

1st one is 24" and other is 27" and ~$200 more expensive

So does the extra 3 inch makes 'more' bigger?

I mainly use it for gaming.
Please advice

Solution
That means someone that owns those two monitors reply, which is not the case here, but experience enough to judge price to performance when it comes to monitors. Since the second one is only 3" larger, and 200 more expensive, the obvious answer is that the contrast and color is worlds better on the second monitor. No doubt.

When it comes to monitors, or TV's too for that matter, you can't just ask that question, because numbers never tell you enough, size & resolution are the only things we know for sure is correct, everything else is there to make you buy their product because bigger numbers = better in most consumers eyes. Most brands measure things such as contrast and color differently, so without looking at the two monitors side...

chenw

Honorable
At that price, definitely not, I'd only consider it if it was the other way round.

27" 1080p is barely enough to hide the pixel lines, which probably make you want to sit back a little further to make them less apparent. This manuveur also defeats the entire purpose of a larger monitor.

24" is a much better size IMO.

chenw

Honorable
My last 1080p was VX2770SMH, and I could just barely see the lines sitting at 2~3 feet away. After being used to 1440p at 27", the lines on the VX became even more visible.

Being required to sit back from the monitor makes the monitor look smaller in order to compensate, which, IMHO, completely defeats the entire purpose of having a larger monitor.

However, I have no experience 32" as that size is far too large regardless. I prefer to have the entire monitor within my field of view, an 27" is just barely able to fit it in.

If it was higher resolution, such as 4k at 32", maybe. 1080p, definitely not.

I am one of those who prefer seeing more things, not seeing the same things larger

Yeah it's an interesting topic, without going into arc minutes I see a lot of people buying a 4k monitor only to not benefit from it at all, in terms of resolution. Here's a great chart which tells you if you benefit from your purchase, mind you I already got your point, higher resolution sure helps but you can't see the pixels, if you can the monitor is damaged.

http://icdn3.digitaltrends.com/image/720vs1080-625x1000.png

Doesn't list 2.5k but it's obviously in between 4k and 1080.

Preferred resolution for monitors if you are sitting max 3 feet away from the monitor:
For 24" minimum 1080p
For 27" minimum 1440p

Be careful, more pixel require more computation power hence stronger GPU and eventually stronger processor.

The 4k monitors/TVs are good but...keeping high-end games on high to ultra with playable fps..that is the problem right now.
I would prefer to avoid 4k displays for PC gaming at the moment.

chenw

Honorable
That is agreed.

a 970 will shine at 1080p without a doubt, there will very few instances where your card will be worked up.

at 1440p however a single 970 would struggle somewhat, even 980 alone can't reliably drive the resolution without sacrificing some details, but for most older games, 970 or 980 should manage pretty well.

4k however is in a completely different league. Currently no hardware on this planet can drive the resolution reliably, even 2x Titan X's have problems.

jonny99961

Reputable
Apr 30, 2015
Guys, actually i wanted an answer from a guy who actually experienced both the monitors, i heard that 27inch has better colour reproduction, i am convinced to buy at this point only.

That means someone that owns those two monitors reply, which is not the case here, but experience enough to judge price to performance when it comes to monitors. Since the second one is only 3" larger, and 200 more expensive, the obvious answer is that the contrast and color is worlds better on the second monitor. No doubt.

When it comes to monitors, or TV's too for that matter, you can't just ask that question, because numbers never tell you enough, size & resolution are the only things we know for sure is correct, everything else is there to make you buy their product because bigger numbers = better in most consumers eyes. Most brands measure things such as contrast and color differently, so without looking at the two monitors side by side, it's impossible to tell.

Solution

chenw

Honorable
Well, I managed to find reviews by both monitors by the same website:

http://www.digitalversus.com/lcd-monitor/xl2411z-p17975/test.html
http://www.digitalversus.com/lcd-monitor/benq-xl2720z-p17980/test.html

As far as I could tell from the review, XL2720z has better colors compared to XL2411z, but compared to higher quality TN's (such as Swift) or IPS panels, it's still not great.

If you are considering alternatives for the same kind of price range, here is a review, again by the same guys as above, for an Asus 24" 1080p 144hz monitor, VG248QE

http://www.digitalversus.com/lcd-monitor/asus-vg248qe-p15654/test.html