24" LCD Round-Up: Acer S242HL, Dell U2412M, And Samsung T24A550

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wedge1

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
I want to go Eyefinity, so I'm interested in reviews on monitors that have DisplayPort connectors.
The one I"m most interested in right now is the: Asus VE248Q
It seems like a good monitor at a good price.

dsinc72

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
I have a 2412 and I love it; the 1200 vs 1080 resolution found on most 24" monitors is nice. Also, believe it or not, there are still a lot of people who don't care about 120hz monitors. Between my video card and cpu, I don't run v-sync and I don't get screen tearing. I also don't notice any blurring, and I have pretty good vision. If you want a review on 3D monitors...read a review on 3D monitors, don't bash an article on regular monitors...there are still people interested in them.

Komma

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
Nice review for the 3. I would very much appreciate it if Tom's reviewed the Asus PA246Q as well, in similar fashion.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
What's the point of showing 3 pages worth of "out-of-box" performance benchmarks. Especially since you mention no less than 2x that it is meaningless to compare out-of-box performance of different monitors?

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Blah... Show me some 26" displays with 2500x1600 resolutions.Otherwise all the 1920x1080 monitors are nothing more than downgrades.[/citation]

They said in the article that they just did a review of 27" monitors - wake up and actually try to read the whole article!

ikaruga

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Hi

Please tell us what was the "Flip queue size" or "Maximum pre-rendered frames" and on what hardware so we could have a guess what's the actual input lag of the monitor(s),thx.

Also; (while I was a competitive gamer once, but) I'm almost 40 playing only for fun, and still getting around 120ms, are you sure a young pro wouldn't do much better?

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
[citation][nom]marraco[/nom]What a useless review from clueless writers.Do any of those monitors are capable of 120hz? If no, they are useless for nvidia 3D. 60hz monitors look and feel ugly compared to 120hz. Vsync kills framerates on 60Hz monitors.Blurring. That’s the feature that makes the deal for me. I hate blurring of moving images. They ruin everything from scrolling web pages, to playing videos, and playing games. The most important benchmark is response time from WHITE TO BLACK, and there is NOT A WORD on this article about it.Response time analysis is a joke.[/citation]

Where do people like you come from? You obviously do not own one of these monitors nor have you taken the time to even educate yourself about them. The HIPS monitors are very fast monitors and the good ones exhibit very little blur - they beat many TN monitors.

The 120 Hz monitors that I have read reviews of are a joke and are complete failures as far as picture quality. True if you are solely interested in 3D then you may have a point but that is NOT what this article is about.

There may be a 120 Hz monitor out there that is worth a damn, but I have not found it yet. You need to grow up, actually do some reading to educate yourself and stop being so critical when you don't know what you are talking about.

ikaruga

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

I highly doubt that, because that's simply impossible with TN technology. They are only exist because of the low manufacturing cost and you can sell it to the same crowd who buys thousand+ DPI laser mice:)

You still need a ISP/PVA and a nice CRT next to it for gaming:(

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010

That is a 2009 article and I am not sure why you are saying it is the "standard." Samsung's monitors have changed a lot since then.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
The Dell is the only choice for me here, personally; I've gone IPS and I won't go back, and it's 16:10 and I've bought my last 16:9 monitor as well.

16:9 is workable for me at the 27" level that I have, using a 2560x1440 screen (Dell U2711), but even there what I've done in WoW is move my action bars to the side of the screen where they don't take up the depth of the view as much.

The other thing is pixel size. I say the Dell here is the only option for me, but it isn't even an option, because I want a smaller pixel pitch size. I have a 1920x1200 24" LCD and it's just too grainy for me, like looking through a fine-mesh screen door. The 24" 1920x1080 panels are worse, which puts another strike against them in my book.

If I were going to buy TN, and settle for 1920x1080, then I wouldn't buy a 60Hz monitor, I'd buy a 120Hz monitor.

;)

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]JWL3[/nom]What's the point of showing 3 pages worth of "out-of-box" performance benchmarks. Especially since you mention no less than 2x that it is meaningless to compare out-of-box performance of different monitors?[/citation]

The fact is, very few users are actually going to calibrate these monitors, so the out-of-the-box performance is what they are going to see in their use. It is only "meaningless" as an absolute measure of quality.

;)

Vatharian

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Are all 120 Hz monitors 3D? I'm not interested in 3D, but higher 'refresh frame rate' would be nice. Even 80 Hz - which is perfectly fine with monitor sporting 12ms black-to-black response. Is eIPS capable of such feat? As per video quality, I'm using now old Belinea 17" TN, and comparing it to new Iiyama 24", its far superior in terms of color reproduction. 24" offers me only higher res, at lower viewing angles and more color bleeding. I've been using at work for some time Dell 3008wfp and HP 2475w, and both shock with connectivity, and most important - IPS panels. I'd like to have big, 25"+ IPS at home, but I won't ever pay $1600 (Dell) for a PC monitor...

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
[citation][nom]Vatharian[/nom]Are all 120 Hz monitors 3D? I'm not interested in 3D, but higher 'refresh frame rate' would be nice. Even 80 Hz - which is perfectly fine with monitor sporting 12ms black-to-black response. Is eIPS capable of such feat? As per video quality, I'm using now old Belinea 17" TN, and comparing it to new Iiyama 24", its far superior in terms of color reproduction. 24" offers me only higher res, at lower viewing angles and more color bleeding. I've been using at work for some time Dell 3008wfp and HP 2475w, and both shock with connectivity, and most important - IPS panels. I'd like to have big, 25"+ IPS at home, but I won't ever pay $1600 (Dell) for a PC monitor...[/citation]

You seem to be very confused, let me help:

1. It appears that the Iiyama 24" is not a very good monitor and that is the problem because TN monitors are NOT superior in color reproduction to HIPS monitors - go out and actually read a professional review or two

2. The HP 2475 and U2410 have NO color bleed or light leakage

3. I own the HP 2475W and you are on drugs, it has every connection known to man except USB 3.0 (because it is an older model). It has display port, HDMI, USB 2.0, VGA and more

4. the Dell Ultra U2711 goes on sale all the time in the $800 - $1000 range and it is an excellent monitor

5. The 120 Hz monitors that I have read the monitors are neither faster nor is their picture quality worth a damn. Also, many current GPUs don't facilitate a 120 Hz refresh rate in the monitor which causes problems

6. High quality HIPS monitors have very little motion blur and so a 120 Hz monitor is unnecessary unless it is needed for 3D or something

7. I don't know much about 3D but the reviews that I have read have said that it pretty much sucks so far. I am sure that will change with the gaming industry driving it but it appears to be moving very slowly

8. I do thing the next big improvement with monitor quality will be 120Hz speed with LED back-lighting but manufacturer's just can't seem to get their act together enough to produce a real monitor that utilizes these advances. I frankly an surprised the HIPS with CFL backlighting is still at the top of the pack in picture quality. When I bought my HP2475 I thought it would be out of date in 2-3 years. That has not happened.

9. Full LED back-lighting should be superior to all other forms because it can produce superior blacks, colors and grey shades but so far that has not come to pass sadly

G

U2412M by all means is not a successor to the U2410. it's the ultrasharp for mainstream market. hence the name code M at the end of the model. the colour gamut is not as high

ikaruga

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

Nope, if 1680x1050 is enough for you the 2209WA is still the best (imho). The U2211H has deeper blacks and it's 1080p, but falls behind the 2209WA in pretty much every other aspects. But on the other hand, the difference is so little, most people just went with the Higher-res (U2211H) if the U2311H was too big for some awkward reason.

A lucky pick of a U2311H model is still the best buy if you are on the budget, but it's really hard to get a good one (especially now when it's discontinued), it's better to go into a shop and handpick the monitor.

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
[citation][nom]mcd023[/nom]Are there any full IPS 24" monitors out there? It'd be nice of there were. Even better if I could afford them. But I can dream of that 5x1 setup that I don't have time to play on, can't I?[/citation]

You need to go back and read this thread - several 24" monitors have been brought up and recommended.

As far as a "full IPS" monitor - there is no specific IPS brand so to speak. There are several types of IPS monitors each as a different first letter. It can be confusing sorting them out. As far as I know, the HIPS is the most advanced but I could be wrong. I think it is wiser to read the professional reviews of each monitor and see how it performs. I do not believe that just because it has a label on it as "IPS" that it is necessarily a great monitor.

Supposedly LED monitors have the capability to be the best monitors out there because of their ability to go completely dark when specific LEDs are turned off. But I have not see a whole lot of them come out and the ones that have that I have read about are very disappointing. Still I think that LED monitors will emerge as the the top rated monitor in the future.

Monitor technology moves a an astonishingly slow pace compared to everything else that surrounds computers.

ikaruga

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

There are different type of LED implementations, and yes the RGB-LED tech is really superior, but that's expensive stuff.

For this segment of the market, : CCFL > LED(edge lit) in every way (except power consumption ofc), without any doubt.

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010

I agree with you if we are discussing edge lit LED monitors, I meant full LED displays. They should be superior to CCFL or any other technology because of the potential to express millions of colors that no other technology can display and the ability to go to absolute blacks and vary grey shades and color shades.

That being said, I have not seen a real-world example of this but we do see in HDTVs that have full LED systems.

RGB LEDs are not necessarily good in themselves either because there are different qualities and types of these displays. However, the LED technology is superior to any other right now - it just has not been implemented into computer monitors. It is possible that OLEO technology also may compete for the best picture quality also but except from Sony, we have not seen examples of these go mainstream.

Lost in this discussion are the the high-end monitors which cost many times more than the average monitors we are discussing. But as far as I know, except for OLEO. Supposedly OLEO is better than LED but we have not seen it.

ikaruga

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Sorry but I'm confused because isn't RGB-LED is the best possible LED technology, since each pixel is lit individually? What LED tech could be better than that? There are some H-IPS panels with RGB-LED (W2420R, HZ24WD) but (iirc) there is an other one as well which is with a P-IPS panel I just can't remember that one now. Are you saying that those are not full led displays, because I would read the source of that info. I like this subject and I would appreciate the link.

Talking about different IPS types, the quality of the picture is never about the panel only but more about the engineers who design the circuits and the FW (For example there are monitors out there from different brands using the same LG panel what's in the U2311H but all the others got insane amount of input lag and horrible uniformity with the very same panel).

I don't believe in OLED tbh, I prefer the natural "paper-like" look like how a good IPS panel looks, but on the other hand, QLED looks really promising in theory, I just hope my CRT will hold until they arrive:)

edit: also don't forget that leds are subject to ageing (more than 100K drop is possible) and rgb-leds can age differently on each color which could make things worse .

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010

You are correct that RGB LEDs are the best, and though I am not sure OLED or OLEO both are forms of LEDs. Supposedly, the OLEO and OLED technology will surpass even RGB LEDs however, RGB LEDs have not even come to pass though we see them in HDTVs (and they do have the best pictures ususally).

That being said, Apple chose an HIPS screen for their Iphone 4s and Iphone 4 and it competes against the Samsung OLED screens on their phones. The HIPS Iphone 4s display is largely considered the best phone display available - says a lot for HIPS technology.

I am not an expert in this but I studied a lot of reviews when I was researching my monitor purchase (I bought the HP2475w - which turned out to be one of the best 24" monitors available). Anyway it will be interesting to see which technology displaces HIPS.

Funny, none of the current monitors under $1000 (even mine) have pictures as good as an HDTV which is perplexing. Further, if you connect an HDTV to your computer you STILL don't get as good a picture as a cable or satellite dish signal.

I have my monitor connected to a Hauppauge 2250 HDTV card and I DO get a picture that is close to say a Samsung HDTV (for example) in quality - which satisfies me for now. The future will correct this as computers and TVs further integrate. We will see monitors for computers that rival HDTV picture quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.