24" main monitor + 17" secondary monitor?

vlad03

Reputable
Jul 28, 2015
Hello,

I'm currently using a 24" BenQ BL2411PT monitor ( https://www.benq.eu/product/monitor/bl2411pt/specifications/ ) on my work setup, basically for web programming/development.
These days, I was thinking if I should get a second monitor or not. I already tried with an old 19" Philips Brilliance 190p monitor I had close-at-hand and that's too large, considering the pretty limited space I have available on my desk, plus the fact that I don't want it to distract my attention. So, obviously, getting a second BL2411PT monitor is also out of discussion.

Searching for a solution, I came across the 17" BenQ BL702A ( https://www.benq.eu/product/monitor/bl702a/specifications/ ).
What do you think, is it a good choice to buy one of these as a second monitor, considering that the other one is 24"?
It seems to be a pretty new model (not older than 2015 I guess), but most buyers use it for vintage gaming/computing, which is not the case for me. Also, I saw that it has no height adjustment. They mention that it's Win 7 and 8 compatible, but what about Win 10? (I currently have 8.1 on my work setup, but maybe I'll upgrade) Also, considering the size and resolution difference from the other one... I would mostly use it for articles, maybe specifications, music and secondary stuff. And also the VGA connector, the only one that it has, seems to be an old type of VGA - can this be a drawback in the future?
Another thing is that it would sit at the right of my main monitor. I'm not sure if this is a good practice, in terms of productivity and such. Maybe it's best for the secondary monitor to be placed on the left, but I have my printer there... so, again, space and placement issues.

Also, if you have some better suggestions, please write them here.

Thanks.

vlad03

Reputable
Jul 28, 2015
I can rotate the 24" monitor that I already have, but I want to continue using it in landscape mode.
The 17" model cannot be rotated afaik.

I know it's pretty much subjective and it depends on what one prefers...