Question 24 pin issues

Relevant system specs are:
MSI B350 Gaming Plus
Corsair CX550M 80+ Bronze Certified
NZXT S340
Full specs are under "Vanquisher" in signature

I recently took my PSU out and put it back in. It wouldn't fire up again until I poked the 24 pin wire.

Then it worked fine then shutdown and wouldn't fire back up until I wiggled the 24pin.

Today it wouldn't boot after installing a new CPU. I had to yet again poke the 24 pin wire. It also unexpectedly shutdown later, but booted back up normally.

The 24 pin is snugly in the mobo. Whats the deal?

Last edited:

ChevetteSCx

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
Gonna need a few questions answered, first :
1.) Why is it that you ''took (your) PSU out and put it back in''?
2.) What type of PSU? (fixed, semi-modular or fully modular)
3.) Where are you ''poking'' the 24-pin cable?
4.) How hard do you have to ''poke'' the 24-pin cable?
5.) Is it more of a grab the wires and ''wiggle'' or more a ''poke'' with a finger?

.) Why is it that you ''took (your) PSU out and put it back in''?
Well, I had an incident with a failed SATA to Molex adapter and I took the PSU out to test an HDD. I also wiped the dust off othe outside of the PSU since I didnt want to properly dust the unit/ The PSU still works alright other than these 24pin issues from what I see.

This PSU is a Corsair CX550m which is semi-modular, so the 24pin is fixed to the PSU.

I just poked the wires a couple of inches from where mobo. Anything that moves the wires will cause it to turn on and off tho.

It did it again today so I unplugged the 24 pin and moved the wires around so they are bent at a different angle.

ChevetteSCx

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
You're going to have to do a thorough inspection and (possibly) destructive testing. But, since the PSU isn't operating properly, and shouldn't be powering your PC in this condition anyway...

1.) Turn off PC, and remove AC power cord from the PSU;

2.) Press power button on PC (to discharge PSU caps.);

3.) Unplug 24-pin cable;

4.) If you can work on it with the PSU installed in the case, do so, if not, remove the PSU;

5.) From connector side, look into each connector slot. You are looking for any of the metal connections that look out-of-place, set further back from the others, or scorched or physically damaged;

6.) Turn the connector back over and hold it in one hand. With your other hand, pull firmly and quickly on EACH, INDIVIDUAL WIRE NEAR THE CONNECTOR. with about as much force as you would pluck a hair. If the pin slides out, BE SURE YOU NOTE THE ORIENTATION OF THE PIN!. Inspect it for damage, and check the lock tab. (Little ear or pin that should be sticking out the side of the connector about 3/64'' or 1mm). if it isn't, or it's bent, or it's flush, then you will have to fix it;

7.) If the tab is flush or not sticking out far enough, then slide a very sharp, thin knife into the open end, and pry it lightly out. DO NOT BEND IT VERY MUCH (past 45 degrees, it will probably snap off, then you are REALLY screwed!!);

8.) Slide it back into the plastic 24-pin ATX connector in the same orientation that it came out in;

9.) Once reinstalled, pull firmly and quickly on that, specific wire near the connector. It should NOT come out (again);

10.) Repeat for ALL WIRES IN THE CONNECTOR;

11.) In the event that the tab ''folds'' when the connector comes out, you will have to VERY CAREFULLY straighten it with a pair of needle-nose pliers;

12.) In the event that the wire comes out of the crimp connection...DO NOT WORRY! as this was the problem, and you can't fix it anyway! (Unless you have wire cutters, wire strippers, molex crimp connectors and a crimper?);

13.) As for the motherboard connection...with a bright flashlight, inspect each pin slot for melting, burning, scorching of the plastic shroud, and/or misaligned or loose pins;

14.) If you find any of these things, I can't help you!! The motherboard is TOAST!

If, after reading this, you do not feel comfortable tackling it, then don't. But, just a word of warning, a poor connection like this will lead to faults with the Motherboard, CPU, memory...basically it could permanently damage EVERYTHING THAT PSU IS HOOKED UP TO, also it could lead to further physical damage to the 24-pin connector(s), as I described above.