2400+ hardware Mod?

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
<A HREF="http://www.ocworkbench.com/2002/amd/unlocktbred/unlocktbredp1.htm" target="_new">http://www.ocworkbench.com/2002/amd/unlocktbred/unlocktbredp1.htm</A>

Since my 2400+ T-bred B wont go over 2200mhz I am thinking of hardware modding it. That link above shows a knot in the pins. Does this work? This is the only website I see this on. Also, I was thinking it would be easyer to place wire in the socket rather thank tying a knot.

I realy realy want 200fsb LMAO! 11x200 looks realy good if you ask me!

Edit: Sorry guys, wrong forum. I hope no one minds

<font color=red>"Battling Gimps and Dimbulbs HERE at THGC"</font color=red>

"<font color=blue> Wusy</font color=blue> <-Professional sheep banger"
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by clob on 06/23/05 08:25 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
I tryed the pin mod and it booted fine. The problem was that it still defaulted to 15x multi no matter what. I know that the mod only supported up to 12x so it didnt work. I tryed three differently sized copper threads, but to no avail I was stuck at 15x!

Maybe the silver paint in the U shape will work (ponders to self)

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
You might have to mod the bridges on top of the CPU to enable multiplier adjustments. If that doesn't show anything up, look for the XP-M (mobile) mod.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
I will try that as soon as I get some silver paint. Is there anything else I can use to bridge it?

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
lead pencil? Graphite works in many cases.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
I dont know if this makes sence, but will it be conductive enough?

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
I've never tried it (too chicken to physically mod a CPU :lol: ), but I've seen talk about 'pencil modding' numerous times. There will be situations where it doesn't work because it won't lower the resistance enough to short the bridge, but I don't know what situations that is.

Mike.

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
<A HREF="http://www.overclockers.com.au/article.php?id=118669" target="_new"> Heres a site that does the bridge of the T-bred core. They use a silver pen. </A>

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
I read that those holes are dangerous to fill... I just dont want to kill my cpu by doing this too fast.

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Umm... I have a T-bred B and my cpu color is green?!?!?!? WTF?!? Why is the one in the picture orange?

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
On the bottom where the pins are? Yes

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
SUN OF A! ~puts face through wall~

Look for me Wusy... PRETTY PLEASE!

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Been a long time since I looked at this stuff.

1. Don't use the pencil trick on a Tbred. Not reliable and getting graphite into the trenches would be very bad.

Pencil trick was good for the old Spitfire and Thunderbird cores and that's all.

2. I hate the loop mod. Tight work, unreliable connections, and the chance of bending a pin accidentally bothered me.

I prefer the wire-in-socket mods. If you use the right size wire strands it won't interefere with chip insertion yet the ZIF mechanism ensures a pretty good connection.

On to your problem...

I can't remember but I thought all Tbred B's are unlocked. That's why I'm puzzled why you can't change multipliers.

What is the week code on your CPU, eg. 0302 (my Tbred B's week code, by the way) for year 20<font color=red>03</font color=red>, week <font color=red>02</font color=red>?

What motherboard are you using? If you are using a nForce 2 mobo you usually can connect the 8X multiplier pin to ground (AJ27 to AH28) to enable the lower multipliers (not necessary with the Abit NF7-S board, IIRC). You can then select multipliers in BIOS.

For other chipsets it was often better to force multipliers with extra wire mods.

Below is a good site for showing the mods to make. Use the "CPU view" if you are doing the pin mods with wire loops. Use the "Socket view" for the wire in socket mods.

<A HREF="http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html" target="_new">http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html</A>

A quick way to check if you have an unlocked processor without having to modify anything is to set FSB to 100 Mhz (just for testing). This will give access to multpliers up to 24X (assuming you have BIOS multipliers) using your XP2400+ without overclocking limitation problems. If you can change multipliers (and it works) then obviously the processor is unlocked.

I'm going to have to check my notes for more information. It's been a couple of years.

<b>A mind is a terrible thing</b>

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Thanks for the info!

Do I have to take off the HSF fan to see the week code on the cpu.

Also, This is a T-bred B core. I have tryed to set it to 10x133 and it defaults to 15x133. Same with 11 and 12x. Is there anything in BIOS that I have to set in order to chance the multi besides the multi its self.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
If it's not changing multipliers when you select them in BIOS, then it's locked unfortunately.

A bad pick for overclocking if so :frown:

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You didn't say which motherboard/chipset you have.

To the best of my knowledge Abit nForce 2 mobos are the only ones that allow you to select the full range of multipliers 6X thru 24X from BIOS without using mods.

For all other motherboards you are basically limited to the [correction-->] lower half (5X - 13X) or the [correction-->] upper half (13.5x - 24X) depending on what chip you start with or how you mod the chip.

With CPUs that have a default multiplier (factory default or modified default) in the lower range then you can select multiplier only in that range. With those in the higher range, likewise, only the higher range.

The common mod for nForce 2 overclockers was to take an XP2400+ (Tbred B) and close the 5th L3 bridge. This turns off the 8X multiplier bit, effectively putting the CPU into the low range of multipliers. Alternately you can connect the 8X pin (AJ27) to ground (Vss, pin AH28) for a similar result.

For non-nForce 2 motherboards things start to become more complicated. Changing the 8X multiplier bit often results in a non-valid multiplier. nForce 2 boards just override the non-valid multiplier with the BIOS multiplier but most other boards do not. This means playing with more bridges or more pins to get a valid default multiplier. This is necessary so that the system will POST.

If you have an old motherboard then you need the pin mods to resolve other issues, including the stuck at 100 Mhz FSB issue, and "I can't change my multiplier to anything but default" issue. Both of these problems are common on legacy motherboards with VIA chipsets.

Anyway, if you want more help I'll need to know the motherboard/chipset you have. The week code of your CPU and yes you have to take off the HSF. (If you are afraid of taking off the HSF then you shouldn't be doing mods at all). I also need you to do that 100 Mhz FSB test. Try 9x100 and tell me what you get. (If you get 1700 Mhz then that will answer just about all my questions. The explanation is long. I won't give it unless you get that result).

<b>A mind is a terrible thing</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 07/06/05 07:52 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
My board is a A7n8X-E NF2 ultra... I did try the loops on the pins. I used plenty of copper and no change at all.

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
9/17.5 * 100 = BSOD or restart on bootup. Posts at 1800+

9.5 * 100 = BSOD or restart. Posts at 1800+

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by clob on 07/07/05 11:29 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
I am having a problem with the Vcore. Stock is 1.65 and its fine up to 2.25ghz. Not a bad OC on stock Vcore. The problem is that the computer wont load windows on anything higher that stock Vcore! 1.675 gets a restart upon loading windows and anything higher I get BSOD. SOME ONE HELP!

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Interesting, but I don't understand what could be going on with your VCore issue.

You do have nForce 2 so like I said you have the lower range (5X thru 12.5X) or upper range (13.5X and up) depending on default multiplier, in your case the upper range. Try 16x100, but it's beginning to look like you have a locked processor.

Honestly, I wasn't aware there were any locked Tbred B's.

By the way, if it truly is locked (and I don't mean the upper range lower range thing, but "locked") then wire mods won't work.

Did you happen to get the week and other code numbers from your processor?

<b>A mind is a terrible thing</b>

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Where do I find that number? I'll look tomorrow...