[SOLVED] 2400mhz max cpu and 2666mhz ram

Dec 6, 2020
I have i7-8565U cpu laptop and it came with 8gb 266mhz ram. I want to upgrade my ram so that it will fit some games. Should i opt for a 2444mhz (since my cpu has can only support 2400mhz at max and its cheaper) or go for the 2666mhz ram. Will there be benefits that i choose 2666mhz rather than 2400mhz in this situation? im a laptop newb and tia

Solution
I have i7-8565U cpu laptop and it came with 8gb 266mhz ram. I want to upgrade my ram so that it will fit some games. Should i opt for a 2444mhz (since my cpu has can only support 2400mhz at max and its cheaper) or go for the 2666mhz ram. Will there be benefits that i choose 2666mhz rather than 2400mhz in this situation? im a laptop newb and tia
Hello there!!
No i don't think it'll make alot of difference the difference is pretty minor just see through it that you get a lower latency ram many time when search for laptop ram CL19 shows up see to it you get CL16 or below.
Hello there!!
No i don't think it'll make alot of difference the difference is pretty minor just see through it that you get a lower latency ram many time when search for laptop ram CL19 shows up see to it you get CL16 or below.

Solution
will a 2666mhz and 2400mhz run together? and what is the meaning of this? the the one on the box. tia https://prnt.sc/vwudjd
Yes it's the frequency of the ram, practically the ram works half of the advertised speed but twice yours being 2666Mhz will run at 1333 but twice a cycle so pretty normal, it could run at 2666Mhz but you gotta manually OC it or load a XMP Profile. Your laptop is currently running with which CPU? And don't mix ram get a 16gb 2x8 ram kit you can keep your old one for troubleshooting or sell it.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020
Yes it's the frequency of the ram, practically the ram works half of the advertised speed but twice yours being 2666Mhz will run at 1333 but twice a cycle so pretty normal, it could run at 2666Mhz but you gotta manually OC it or load a XMP Profile. Your laptop is currently running with which CPU? And don't mix ram get a 16gb 2x8 ram kit you can keep your old one for troubleshooting or sell it.
i got i7-8565u processor. so what do you think, should i buy a 2666mhz or 2400mhz? is it recommend to oc my ram. wouldnt it pose some problems? i'm really not good at this, i just want to play games without that much lag :(

i got i7-8565u processor. so what do you think, should i buy a 2666mhz or 2400mhz? is it recommend to oc my ram. wouldnt it pose some problems? i'm really not good at this, i just want to play games without that much lag :(
According to Intel the processor work at 2400mhz, as i mentioned earlier the difference between 2400mhz and 2666mhz is minor if you want you can spend the extra for your peace of mind there's nothing wrong in doing that and you don't need to OC. And it won't lag your games will become smoother if memory was the issue.

Dec 6, 2020
According to Intel the processor work at 2400mhz, as i mentioned earlier the difference between 2400mhz and 2666mhz is minor if you want you can spend the extra for your peace of mind there's nothing wrong in doing that and you don't need to OC. And it won't lag your games will become smoother if memory was the issue.
thanks a lot for the help man!