Question 2400MHz ram into a 2133MHz motherboard

2133Mhz is the JEDEC standard speed for DDR4. It's literally the lowest speed you can have as a standard setting in any DDR4 motherboard and any lower requires manually changing it in bios if that is supported. Any DDR4 module added to a motherboard will always be set to 2133Mhz unless it is advertised to automatically clock to 2400-2666Mhz without adjusting it in bios. Any module advertised for over 2666Mhz will start at 2133Mhz until you set the XMP for it's advertised speed. Edit - Also, Any module that should automatically overclock to 2400-2666Mhz placed in a motherboard that only supports 2133Mhz, or is limited by the CPU to 2133Mhz, will always set to 2133Mhz.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2020
I'm going to tell you right now there is no point in changing as you're going to be getting the same speed anyway. Save yourself the money
I want to have the both of them at the same time, I think that you thought that I was going to change the old one for the new one.

I want to have the both of them at the same time, I think that you thought that I was going to change the old one for the new one.
Your motherboard and CPU do not support higher than 2133Mhz, so it doesn't matter what ram you buy, use or already have, it won't run faster than 2133. Whatever you add will always be limited by your CPU and motherboard until you upgrade the motherboard to a Z series chipset, which will allow overclocking for higher memory speeds.