Question 240hz issue with Alienware AW3225QF

AshIsBack

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2015
Hello everyone,

I have a quick question regarding my Alienware AW3225QF. I've had this monitor since it was released, running it at 3840x2160 (native) through DisplayPort at 240Hz, but since I moved the PC downstairs to my 120hz tv, the monitor doesn't go to 240hz again upstairs in my office unless I replug the display port cable.

Every time my system boots up, it defaults to 120Hz (which would be fine if I could switch back to 240Hz). However, both the NVIDIA App (beta) and the NVIDIA Control Panel only show a maximum option of 120Hz, with 60Hz as the other available option.

If I unplug the DisplayPort cable from my GPU, wait a few seconds, and then plug it back in, the 240Hz option sometimes reappears (though it often takes multiple attempts).

I'm confident it's not a hardware limitation, as it was working flawlessly for the first week with my RTX 4090. Has anyone encountered a similar issue or have any suggestions? I'm using the included DP cable, and there have been no recent Windows updates or system changes within the last 72 hours.

Lutfij

Titan
Try and see if disabling G-Sync in both the monitor's OSD and in Nvidia's control panel.

my 120hz tv
Make and model of your TV? Does outputting to the TV standalone change anything?

However, both the NVIDIA App (beta) and the NVIDIA Control Panel
What driver version are you on for your GPU?

I would use DDU to remove all GPU drivers(Intel, AMD and Nvidia) in Safe Mode, then manually reinstall with the latest GPU driver sourced from Nvidia's support site in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

I'm confident it's not a hardware limitation, as it was working flawlessly for the first week with my RTX 4090.
It shouldn't be.
1 - Up to 4K 12-bit HDR at 240Hz with DP 1.4a + DSC or HDMI 2.1a + DSC. Up to 8K 12-bit HDR at 60Hz with DP 1.4a + DSC or HDMI 2.1a + DSC.
2 - As specified in HDMI 2.1a: up to 4K 240Hz or 8K 60Hz with DSC, Gaming VRR, HDR
3 - DisplayPort 1.4a
4 - Multi Monitor:
  • 4 independent displays at 4K 120Hz using DP or HDMI
  • 2 independent displays at 4K 240Hz or 8K 60Hz with DSC using DP or HDMI
  • Other display configurations may be possible based on available bandwidth
courtesy of the specs here.

AshIsBack

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2015
Try and see if disabling G-Sync in both the monitor's OSD and in Nvidia's control panel.

my 120hz tv
Make and model of your TV? Does outputting to the TV standalone change anything?

However, both the NVIDIA App (beta) and the NVIDIA Control Panel
What driver version are you on for your GPU?

I would use DDU to remove all GPU drivers(Intel, AMD and Nvidia) in Safe Mode, then manually reinstall with the latest GPU driver sourced from Nvidia's support site in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

I'm confident it's not a hardware limitation, as it was working flawlessly for the first week with my RTX 4090.
It shouldn't be.

courtesy of the specs here.
So my setup used to work perfectly well for ages. However it wasn't until I moved my PC to my tv, configured it for 120hz, and then returned back to my monitors it now had this issue. It's an easy fix to replug my display port cable every time I turn my PC on but it's very annoying.