240hz Monitor only shows 144hz as an option.. Monitor is an ASUS ROG Strix XG258Q (GPU can do 240hz)

Feb 14, 2018
Title is long but it describes a big portion of my issue..

I recently purchased a 240hz ASUS ROG Strix XG258Q and in the NVIDIA settings as well as in the OS settings I only get the option of 144hz..

I am connected with a DisplayPort cable that came with the monitor and I have a i7 4770k CPU (if necessary info?) and I'm using a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (with 3gb or ram)

Here:
https://www.evga.com/products/specs/gpu.aspx?pn=2df105f4-4817-4e2f-9978-d7f28452a769

I found the specs of my GPU says it supports 240hz and 1920p and I cannot set the hz to 240.. anyone have any ideas how to solve this issue?

I tried creating a custom resolution through Nvidia and when I put in 240hz (and leave everything else on automatic/default) when I click ‘test’ the screen goes black for a few seconds then a message displays telling me it was successful but when I click “save profile and apply” the screen goes black for a second again and then there is no profile of 240hz.. The same thing happens for 239hz and anything above 240hz.. but when I do it for 238hz it saves a profile and I am able to use 238hz..

And yes I know 238 to 240hz isn’t that big of a deal but I read that it’s better to have a multiple of 30/60 for better film viewing experience.. despite this.. I also would just like to have 240hz .. since I paid for it.. but mostly just because it kinda bothers me that it’s not a default value.. idk call it OCD if you must.. haha

As an additional note .. I’ve tried the CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) and made a 240hz profile and when I restart and select that profile my screen goes black for 30 seconds and then comes back (I’m assuming this means it didn’t work and the 15 second timer or whatever to ‘accept’ settings counted down and went back to the previous setting.

(Also updated windows, installed the monitor driver from the website, and erased all other, old, monitors off the list of monitors in the CRU program.)

CPU: intel i7 4770k
GPU: EVGA NVIDIA GTX 760
Monitor: 240hz ASUS ROG Strix XG258Q

Thank you for your help in advance,

Immensely

Solution
I suspect you can't directly set exact 240, as there may rounding-issues (then 238 = 240 actually), or timing-issues (then there is no way).
I'd say you have a pretty decent Monitor, and if you can set 238, that's pretty much it. I didn't even know the GTX 760 could do that...
Instead of aiming at the theoretical value, i'd test videos first if you find any disturbance.
Chose "high-speed" scenes for that, like, i.e., fast, but continuous chase-scenes.
If they "feel good", stay at 238.
If they don't, try to set *any* value a multiple of 30, and see it that improves the situation at all.
If not, again, stay at 238.
Only if there is a "noticable" difference in "quality of experience", i'd look for a solution.

ragnar-gd

Reputable
I suspect you can't directly set exact 240, as there may rounding-issues (then 238 = 240 actually), or timing-issues (then there is no way).
I'd say you have a pretty decent Monitor, and if you can set 238, that's pretty much it. I didn't even know the GTX 760 could do that...
Instead of aiming at the theoretical value, i'd test videos first if you find any disturbance.
Chose "high-speed" scenes for that, like, i.e., fast, but continuous chase-scenes.
If they "feel good", stay at 238.
If they don't, try to set *any* value a multiple of 30, and see it that improves the situation at all.
If not, again, stay at 238.
Only if there is a "noticable" difference in "quality of experience", i'd look for a solution.

Solution
Feb 14, 2018

Okay, thank you I appreciate the response.
& that makes sense.. I can see you being spot on as when I set the 238 value when I pull up the monitor display menu it says "1920 x 1080 @ 240Hz"
(but in CS:GO when I set the refresh rate to 240 it defaults back to 144, but when I set the refresh rate in the console to 238 it works and then displays in the "Mat_info" command that I'm running the game at 1920 x 1080 @ 238Hz

One more question for you then, when a monitor has an option to select lets say 60Hz or 144Hz .. is it actually not EXACTLY 60 or 144 but rather e.g. 59.5 and 143.8 or something ?

Thanks again, I'll play around with it as you said :)

ragnar-gd

Reputable
It ought to be "exactly" that values in theory, but in reality the specs allow some hefty deviations, to allow for a bit of "variety" in quality of the electronics. Usually, connected components are also fit for that, so it usually works. But not always.
I had, as an example, a 1080i TV (believe me, you don't want that), and when setting to 30Hz, Windows 10 detected 29Hz. And the screen shifted when changing from full-screen (a streaming app) to windowed mode (with whatever application), and then stayed that way. Meaning the start-menu vanished to the left from the screen.
All within specifications, mind you...

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
Is the monitor set to 240Hz by default, or do you have to go into the monitor menu and manually set the overclock to 240Hz? Check to make sure. If so, the monitor will require a reboot after manually setting the refresh rate overclock. Try setting the refresh rate to 240Hz again and test. You may also have a lower quality DP 1.2 cable. Believe it or not, but DP cables are not created equally.

May 11, 2018

I'm having this same issue but only can set my AW2518H to 200hz instead of 240hz.

i'm stumped on what to do