[SOLVED] 240hz with HDMI 2.1 1080p not working

Mar 23, 2022
Can't get above 144hz on 240hz monitor through HDMI.

Specs
  • 3080 Nvidia GPU with 1 x HDMI 2.1 output.
  • Elgato 4k60 PRO MK.2 1 x HDMI 2.0 input/output
  • Asus XG258q 1080p with 1 x HDMI 2.0 input
  • 2 x 3m HDMI 2.1 Ultra Fast cables.

I also have a Asus PG258q 1080p, however this is 1 x HDMI 1.4.
The XG258q states it has a 2.0 port and a 1.4 port. There's not much information, however I think I've deciphered the port which is 2.0 as I can get it to 144hz, whereas the other is 'Out of Range'.

My end goal is to have my gaming PC throughput my Elgato 4k60 PRO mk.2 (HDMI 2.0) into my gaming monitor at 240hz. This is because using a DP to my monitor and HDMI to elgato means I have to clone/duplicate screen, which causes very noticeable input delay, affecting competitive performance.

1. My only options are 120hz.
  2. I have created a custom resolution that allows 144hz
  3. Nothing higher than 144 will register. Just black screen before returning.
  4. I've played with CRU and nvidia pixel clock patcher to no avail.

I'm picking my brains out, as I have checked all three things. I am testing running the cable directly from GPU to Monitor before introducing the Elgato, and still cannot get 240hz.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Solution
SOLVED:

Working now with 1 HDMI 2.1 into ELGATO 4k INPUT ||||| then HDMI 2.0 to DP cable in OUTPUT of Elgato (IN STREAM PC) into DP Input of Monitor.

After biting the bullet, I tried an adaptor from HDMI to DP. As the input is HDMI, and the output DP, the adapter has to have a USB -A or C connection to power the transition of new bandwidth.

Really didn't think this would work, but here I am, 240hz on my gaming PC, and recording to stream PC with no input lag.
Mar 23, 2022
Not sure if I need to upgrade my monitor to a 240 hz HDMI capable one, or whether I can work around with HDMI 2.1 to DP that I can plug from GPU (HDMI 2.1) into Monitor (DP1.4).

Any suggestions?

I'm going to return one HDMI 2.1 cable and replace with a DP to HDMI 2.0 and test today.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022
SOLVED:

Working now with 1 HDMI 2.1 into ELGATO 4k INPUT ||||| then HDMI 2.0 to DP cable in OUTPUT of Elgato (IN STREAM PC) into DP Input of Monitor.

After biting the bullet, I tried an adaptor from HDMI to DP. As the input is HDMI, and the output DP, the adapter has to have a USB -A or C connection to power the transition of new bandwidth.

Really didn't think this would work, but here I am, 240hz on my gaming PC, and recording to stream PC with no input lag.

Solution