[SOLVED] 240mm AiO or 360mm AiO in Phanteks P400

Ferimer

Distinguished
I am looking to purchase an AiO cooling system for my build. I am curious with the Phanteks P400 should i go with the 240mm or 360mm. I understand the 360mm may provide more intake, but i wonder if that is actually necessary within my build. The 240mm would go up top and act as exhaust as opposed to pushing in the exhausted air as i have 3 intake fans already. Or would it more beneficial to my build to go with 360mm for intake and 3 exhaust? thank you for any and all suggestions

Solution
im not trying to liquid cool the GPU, its going to be for the CPU.
I know.
I am trying to get an idea if it would be worth it anyway.
I told you in my last post, you just kinda saw through it: "There's not much point in doing it; the gpu is the one that benefits the most from liquid cooling."

I kind of want the look of the AIO liquid as oppose to the look of the Bulky CM 212 RGB i have already.
Depends on perspective, I guess.
AIOs are just as bulky as air coolers, if not more so; it's got a water block, radiator, fans, and 2 tubes connecting them.
Having recently handled a Celsius S36 that I installed on my 1080Ti and comparing it to my NH-D15S... where the heck did that misconception about size come from? I...
It depends on how much cooling you actually need. An AIO isn't going to include the GPU in the loop. So maybe 240mm is enough for you. But then there are big air coolers that can equal a 240mm AIO, and the 360 size is where water starts to come into it's own. But only for high end overclocking. Most likely the 240 mmm will be enough. Don't forget to provide airflow around the VRM section of the MB (it will be next to the CPU). This can get overlooked easily on an AIO kit and defeat the whole purpose. There are some 280mm (2x140 fan) AIO out there that may fit your case, and bridge the gap for you. It will probably be quieter than the others also.
12cmx24cm=288cm2
14cmx28cm=392cm2
12cmx36cm=432cm2
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=280mm+AIO&t=chromentp&ia=shopping

Last edited:

Ferimer

Distinguished
It depends on how much cooling you actually need. An AIO isn't going to include the GPU in the loop. So maybe 240mm is enough for you. But then there are big air coolers that can equal a 240mm AIO, and the 360 size is where water starts to come into it's own. But only for high end overclocking. Most likely the 240 mmm will be enough. Don't forget to provide airflow around the VRM section of the MB (it will be next to the CPU). This can get overlooked easily on an AIO kit and defeat the whole purpose. There are some 280mm (2x140 fan) AIO out there that may fit your case, and bridge the gap for you. It will probably be quieter than the others also.
12cmx24cm=288cm2
14cmx28cm=392cm2
12cmx36cm=432cm2
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=280mm+AIO&t=chromentp&ia=shopping
The GPU i'm using has 3 fans attached to it. I am not sure if i will have the proper clearance on the Top part of my case for that as my motherboard is the B450 Tomahawk Max. It is very close to the top part of my case. the part where it says Arsenal Gaming there is about an inch gap to the fan that i have installed for exhaust. So i don't think i have enough clearance for an AIO there. So i would need to mount it at the front.
307964.097ef84a897479243b29578f8f3134cb.1600.jpg

Ferimer

Distinguished
Phanteks P400 doesn't support top mounted radiators at all; fans only. Front and rear only for radiators: http://www.phanteks.com/Eclipse-P400.html

There's not much point in doing it; the gpu is the one that benefits the most from liquid cooling.
Now, if you just want to liquid cool the cpu anyway - I can't argue with that.
im not trying to liquid cool the GPU, its going to be for the CPU. I was just explaining that the GPU i have already has 3 fans on it, as he was talking about the loop, which i don't plan on doing anyway. I am trying to get an idea if it would be worth it anyway. I kind of want the look of the AIO liquid as oppose to the look of the Bulky CM 212 RGB i have already.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
im not trying to liquid cool the GPU, its going to be for the CPU.
I know.
I am trying to get an idea if it would be worth it anyway.
I told you in my last post, you just kinda saw through it: "There's not much point in doing it; the gpu is the one that benefits the most from liquid cooling."

I kind of want the look of the AIO liquid as oppose to the look of the Bulky CM 212 RGB i have already.
AIOs are just as bulky as air coolers, if not more so; it's got a water block, radiator, fans, and 2 tubes connecting them.
Having recently handled a Celsius S36 that I installed on my 1080Ti and comparing it to my NH-D15S... where the heck did that misconception about size come from? I can at least handle the D15S with one hand - can't do that with an AIO.

Ever taken a gpu apart before? The cooler on that gpu is just as big as a radiator + fans...

Your Hyper 212 would look a little less 'bulky' without that 2nd fan, but hey...

Solution

Ferimer

Distinguished
I know.

Having recently handled a Celsius S36 that I installed on my 1080Ti and comparing it to my NH-D15S... where the heck did that misconception about size come from? I can at least handle the D15S with one hand - can't do that with an AIO.

Ever taken a gpu apart before? The cooler on that gpu is just as big as a radiator + fans...

Your Hyper 212 would look a little less 'bulky' without that 2nd fan, but hey...
Yeah i recently took apart my Rx580 to apply better thermal paste. the bulkiness of it comes from its heat sink i noticed. If the overall different isn't going to matter then i am not going to spend the amount of money it's going to take to change it. I live in Canada so things are outrageous when it comes to parts. Thanks for the advice everyone

TRENDING THREADS