Question 240mm vs 280mm meshify C

BMF96

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2012
I just installed a 360mm kraken x72 on the front of my meshify C with the fans pushing air through the rad, but pulling into the case. So the fans are more toward the outside of the case and the radiator on the inside. This is cooling my 3700x CPU.

I have also purchased a 240mm kraken x52 for my 2080 Ti. But it still has not shipped so I could cancel the order. The 280mm x62 is only about $7 more but the meshify C manual specifies that the top will only fit up to 240mm. I've been doing some measuring and NZXT says the radiator is only 30mm thick. That's only about 5mm thicker than the current fan that's there (not shown in picture).

View: https://imgur.com/a/KKqIUYx

I've been watching radiator and fan configuration videos, and I realized it may be possible to fit a 280mm if I position the fans up top outside the case (pulling air through the radiator and out of the case) with the radiator on the inside. I've been measuring while writing this and it seems the only thing that is blocking is the 8 pin EATX12V_1 cable. Actually it's just the little piece you press down on to pull out the cable. The black plate to the right is very close. I believe it would be touching the radiator. So I believe it would just barely fit if I did something to that cable (like breaking that little plastic piece off the top) though it would likely be in physical contact with a part of the motherboard (asus crosshair VIII hero) and possibly the tubes from the the 360 rad.

I would also have to forego the mesh sheet that sits on top, plus the fans will be visible and possibly more susceptible to physical damage.

Would you say this is too much trouble to go through for the 280mm? Are there any issues with having taking up that much space inside the case? I guess since the prices are almost the same, I'd like to do it if I can, but not if it's more trouble than it's worth.

One other thing. I realized my fan placement on the front of the case will make it difficult to clean dust as it will end up in-between the radiator and the fans. Is that really so difficult to deal with that I should switch the fans to the other side of the radiator? As far as I've seen, actual temps wouldn't change. But let me know if I'm wrong.

Thanks for taking the time!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I have also purchased a 240mm kraken x52 for my 2080 Ti.
Did ya order a Kraken G12 to go with it?

So you want to equip this case with both 360mm and 280mm AIOs?
It'd be easier to fit a 280mm in front and do 240mm at the top without having to mod anything. But since you already have the 360mm, I guess that's not an option anymore...

I've been watching radiator and fan configuration videos, and I realized it may be possible to fit a 280mm if I position the fans up top outside the case (pulling air through the radiator and out of the case) with the radiator on the inside.
You're aware that a radiator's dimensions are larger than that of the equipped fans, right?
How's a 280mm rad going to fit at the top with the 2x 140mm fans on the roof, when Fractal themselves say a 240mm is the largest that can go up there?
You'd have to mount the 280mm rad on the roof of the case and do some case modding; make cutouts for the tubes to go through the roof or the back of the case.

Would you say this is too much trouble to go through for the 280mm?
Not really, if you're interested in attempting to mod your case.

Are there any issues with having taking up that much space inside the case?
There doesn't have to be. A 280mm will fit in the front with ease. The case is not designed to fit one at the top.
You say you've done measurements, but I don't believe you took into account the extra... 'bulk' of the rad, and the space taken up where the tubing + fittings are going right into it.

I realized my fan placement on the front of the case will make it difficult to clean dust as it will end up in-between the radiator and the fans. Is that really so difficult to deal with that I should switch the fans to the other side of the radiator? As far as I've seen, actual temps wouldn't change.
Just clean the PC out regularly.

BMF96

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2012
Did ya order a Kraken G12 to go with it?

So you want to equip this case with both 360mm and 280mm AIOs?
It'd be easier to fit a 280mm in front and do 240mm at the top without having to mod anything. But since you already have the 360mm, I guess that's not an option anymore...

You're aware that a radiator's dimensions are larger than that of the equipped fans, right?
How's a 280mm rad going to fit at the top with the 2x 140mm fans on the roof, when Fractal themselves say a 240mm is the largest that can go up there?
You'd have to mount the 280mm rad on the roof of the case and do some case modding; make cutouts for the tubes to go through the roof or the back of the case.

Not really, if you're interested in attempting to mod your case.

There doesn't have to be. A 280mm will fit in the front with ease. The case is not designed to fit one at the top.
You say you've done measurements, but I don't believe you took into account the extra... 'bulk' of the rad, and the space taken up where the tubing + fittings are going right into it.

Just clean the PC out regularly.

Yeah I have the G12. I had looked up the specifications of the x62 and I just remeasured and I believe I may have made a mistake in one of my earlier measurements. The length of the radiator gets in the way a lot more than I originally thought. I've been reading other posts about people trying to achieve the same thing and it seemed like it might be doable depending on the relative positions of other parts. Either way, it doesn't seem so at least in my situation without a certain amount of case modification.

Thanks for responding and I appreciate the advice!

EDIT: I remember why I thought the length would fit. I can move the x72 fans to the other side of the mounting brackets, giving me more space. Anyway, I'll have to consider if I actually want to modify the case.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Mistakes happen... at least it was cleared up before things went south.

I've been reading other posts about people trying to achieve the same thing and it seemed like it might be doable depending on the relative positions of other parts.
I figure people either forget or neglect the fact that 'xx0'mm refers to the dimensions of the fans fitted to the actual radiator.
280mm = 2x 140mm squared fans(25mm being the most common thickness); actual radiator is larger
360mm = 3x 120mm squared fans...
And so on.