[SOLVED] 240w propriety PSU with 750ti

Oct 19, 2019
Hello,

I picked up a cheap HP ProDesk 400 G1 running an i5-4570 and using a 240w 80-Plus stock PSU on eBay earlier today. I was planning to upgrade the RAM/PSU and adding my old Asus GTX 750ti OC into the system and giving it to a friend of mine (to game on). However, after watching a few videos I realised that the PSU uses proprietary connections to power the motherboard making upgrading the PSU to power the graphics card difficult. I saw that a YouTuber managed to get an RX 470 running off a similar PSU.

I have looked into adapters and have found this but I’m not sure if it will be compatible or not so it’s a gamble.
Do you think it’d be possible to run the 750ti on the 240w PSU?

s-l1600.jpg
(This is one of the pictures of the PC from the eBay listing)

Solution
Do not ever use a Sata connection to power pcie. A Sata connector is 4.5A maximum output at 12v, that's 54w. A 6pin pcie can pull upto 120w but is generally rated at 75w, well above what a Sata can supply. Use molex instead, a 2x molex to 1x pcie and do not draw from the same cable, use seperate chains. If that's unavoidable, use the connectors closest to the psu as they'll pull less resistance in the wire, which means lower amperage, less heat.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It is a gamble, as well as a possible fire hazard.

It doesn't get more direct than this:
"If the power supply doesn't already have the necessary connections/cables, it may as well not be sufficient."
"If you even consider using an adapter with a power supply, you're already doing it wrong."

I swear, some Youtubers... that video should be reported for misformation and setting people up to lose money via killing their hardware should they draw the short stick.

Oct 19, 2019
It is a gamble, as well as a possible fire hazard.

It doesn't get more direct than this:
"If the power supply doesn't already have the necessary connections/cables, it may as well not be sufficient."
"If you even consider using an adapter with a power supply, you're already doing it wrong."

I swear, some Youtubers... that video should be reported for misformation and setting people up to lose money via killing their hardware should they draw the short stick.
Thanks for the advice. Do you think I'd be safe buying a low profile GPU (like a 1050) for the system?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Most 750ti/GT 1030 don't require external power connectors, they are plug and play cards getting all the power they require from the pcie slot.

That said, some of those old prebuilts motherboards limited actual power delivery to the pcie to prevent damage and curtail use of oversized cards. Heavy gaming will be putting you @ 170-180w draw on the psu, so if everything is as it should be, you'd be ok.

That's a Chicony made psu, and it's 80+ silver, it's actually very decent for an OEM psu and shouldn't have issues with rated power vrs actual power outputs.

Oct 19, 2019
GT 1030 LP
^That. Low power cards like that one which only run off the power supplied from the motherboard are a much safer option.
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll look out for a good deal on a 1050 ti LP as the performance is a fair bit better.
Most 750ti/GT 1030 don't require external power connectors
Unfortunately, the 750ti model I have uses an external connector so I'd have to use a SATA to PCIe adapter to power it :(
That said, some of those old prebuilts motherboards limited actual power delivery to the pcie to prevent damage and curtail use of oversized cards. Heavy gaming will be putting you @ 170-180w draw on the psu, so if everything is as it should be, you'd be ok.

That's a Chicony made psu, and it's 80+ silver, it's actually very decent for an OEM psu and shouldn't have issues with rated power vrs actual power outputs.
Thanks for the information, do you think I'd be safe with the PCIe adapter or would I be better off investing in a low power card?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Do not ever use a Sata connection to power pcie. A Sata connector is 4.5A maximum output at 12v, that's 54w. A 6pin pcie can pull upto 120w but is generally rated at 75w, well above what a Sata can supply. Use molex instead, a 2x molex to 1x pcie and do not draw from the same cable, use seperate chains. If that's unavoidable, use the connectors closest to the psu as they'll pull less resistance in the wire, which means lower amperage, less heat.

Solution
Oct 19, 2019
Molex or sata to PCI-e adapter = fire hazard.
Thanks for the advice, how safe would you say Karadjgne's molex idea is? (it'd save me buying a new GPU)
Thanks again, this sounds like a good plan. I do have a molex to PCIe cable spare I could try. How safe would you say it is? The system is not for myself so if there is a risk of fire I'll probably just have to invest in a new card.

TRENDING THREADS