Question 24pin ATX not fully connected?

thebarte12

Reputable
Jun 11, 2019
Hi, I have small question. My new PC is working fine for a week but unfortunately I have OCD. Couple days ago I saw that my ATX power cable isn't fully connected (like 0,1-0,2mm gap, razor blade could fit this gap). I tried to fix this but after using a lot of force I didn't manage to fix that. Latch seems latched for me. I think it may be a matter of fitting the elements together (some of the elements may be slightly crooked).
SrgTGbG.jpg

gXZTTeV.jpg
Is it fine? Could something be damaged?

Last edited:
Hi, I have small question. My new PC is working fine for a week but unfortunately I have OCD. Couple days ago I saw that my ATX power cable isn't fully connected (like 0,1-0,2mm gap, razor blade could fit this gap)...
You can always push on it to check seating but if your system is working fine it's probably OK since not a lot of current goes through the 24pin contacts. But with something like the CPU or GPU power connectors poor contact seating can become a big issue. In that case, the connector plastic body would feel warm or even hot to the touch when using the system hard even if it seems to be working OK.

Last edited:

thebarte12

Reputable
Jun 11, 2019
Cable sits tight. Latch is latched. This isn't my first build and I was wondering if it is okay when cable isn't fully seated. I tried couple of times fix this. After using so much force and wiggle it, no result. When I managed to fix it on the right side of the connector, on the left side gap was bigger. After pushing left side, gap on the right became bigger... I think connector or socket is a little bit crooked and they dont fit together. PC is running fine for 3 weeks and no issue.

Cable sits tight. Latch is latched. This isn't my first build and I was wondering if it is okay when cable isn't fully seated. I tried couple of times fix this. After using so much force and wiggle it, no result. When I managed to fix it on the right side of the connector, on the left side gap was bigger. After pushing left side, gap on the right became bigger... I think connector or socket is a little bit crooked and they dont fit together. PC is running fine for 3 weeks and no issue.
I've not seen this but I suppose it's possible that one of the 24pin connector bodies isn't flat along its length. There is a lot of tolerance with pin engagement so that may not matter but a problem can occur with any individual pin that isn't fully mating with its socket contact. It may be OK now but eventually work loose and present intermittent problems in the future...or not.

One thing you can do is make sure of full contact engagement by using an appropriate tool (like a small tip screwdriver) to push on each pin through the back of the 24-pin connector to make sure it's completely bottomed after the connector is as well engaged as it can be. Sometimes you can just pinch the wire it connects to and push it in if it's stiff enough.

Last edited:

thebarte12

Reputable
Jun 11, 2019
I think I will leave it as it is. Everything works fine (tested in OCCT Power test). This gap is very small. In previous build I didn't have any problems with this PSU.