250 Watt.. Enuff???

honsbeekgmail

Distinguished
May 26, 2005
Hi,

I have a 250 Watt power supply
I have two high speed DVD-Roms (One is a Burner 8x)
Two seagate HDD (300gig and 120gig)
an ASUS p4p800 with 512mb Ram times 2
not a good vga card.

Is my power at sufficient and efficient levels???
How can I know when I need more wattage, and when do I know it's not enough??? I have 5 power connectors that will fit on HDD 's and CD/DVD Rom peripherals
a 20 pin and a 4 pin , What if I wanted to run more HDD's and More DVDroms, I wouldn;t have enough power connector, what should I do then .???

Thank you

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
If your system is stable, the PSU doesn't get too hot (warm is normal), and your voltages are stable, then you have enough power. If you add devices and any of the above change, then you probably need more power.

Assuming the PSU has power for more devices, if you need more connectors you buy a Y adapter for a couple $.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

Renegade87

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
The most acurate way to monitor your voltages is with a multimeter. Forget about Motherboard Monitor. You could watch your BIOS to get a rough estimate of where you are, but this isn't entirely acurate either.

On the 3 voltage rails your concerned with, look for +/- 5% tolerances on the +3.3V, +5v, and most importantly, the +12V Rails.

"The world ends when you're dead. As long as your breathing you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man and give some back."