$2500 for car insurance for 2 oldish people draving gandma cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaltyUser199

Reputable
Jun 8, 2019
My girl and I drive a Toyota Camry and Honda HRV, respectively. We are mid/late 40s. Car insurance is $2,500. No car loans.

Does that not sound excessive? We use Safeco. If it sounds excessive, any idea what the best (i.e. cheapest) companies to use are? GEICO? They spend so much on advertising I figured they won't be the cheapest as they have to make that up somehow LOL.

Any thoughts welcome!

Thanks.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it's relative to your location and other factors. if you lived in my city i'd say it's very high. but for a major city like LA it might be average. so many formulas and algorithms go into price that it is hard to know what is "normal" and what is not.

i'd just try all the companies you can and see who has the best price to coverage ratio. think there are even compairison sites to show multiple companies at one time. i use progressive and it's pretty cheap. if you in any way can get into USAA, they have the best prices i have ever seen anywhere.

USAFRet

Titan
My girl and I drive a Toyota Camry and Honda HRV, respectively. We are mid/late 40s. Car insurance is $2,500. No car loans.

Does that not sound excessive? We use Safeco. If it sounds excessive, any idea what the best (i.e. cheapest) companies to use are? GEICO? They spend so much on advertising I figured they won't be the cheapest as they have to make that up somehow LOL.

Any thoughts welcome!

Thanks.
Annual or 6 months?

As said above, VERY location dependent.

Manhattan is far more expensive than Montana.

D

Deleted member 14196

2500 is a good price. I pay that for myself my son. Never any tickets for either of us.

Not sure where you are located but my wife and I have State Farm. We were with Allstate and they bumped our rates over time from around 225 to nearly 300 per month. State Farm runs about 201 per month. Located in the Midwest though so if you are in a large city you may have a different rate.

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Not sure where you are located but my wife and I have State Farm. We were with Allstate and they bumped our rates over time from around 225 to nearly 300 per month. State Farm runs about 201 per month. Located in the Midwest though so if you are in a large city you may have a different rate.

We were with Farmers and for a long time had really good rates. Over the last year they jumped WAY up, so we moved (back) to Progressive for about the same as you mention.

We were with State Farm (car/home) for decades based on a suggestion from my mother. They were "great" right up until the time we actually needed them to pay out our first claim. Suddenly, we were liars and crooks and just trying to get something over on them in spite of deafening evidence to the contrary....I would walk before using them for insurance again. /derail

Status
Not open for further replies.