Jkenneth

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Greetings,
I'm currently in the market for a new PC. The last one lasted me a good 4 years(didnt build myself) and I've decided to take the plunge and DIY it this time.

My goal with this pc is to play games on it with max/close to max settings at 1920x1080 with the upcoming games. I do my work(trading) mostly with the pc as well, but nothing heavy.

I have not much in-depth knowledge on OC-ing and the sort but I'd be willing to spend time to learn it on my free time.

I'd love if you guys could throw your 2 cents and help me out with my build as to its compatibility and what-not.

so here goes:

Mobo: asus p8z68 v-pro
CPU: i7-2600K
GPU: MSI gtx 580 Lightning
Memory: Ripjaw X (2x4GB)
PSU: Corsair HX750W
Case: Cooler Master Haf 922
SSD: need help on which one!
Harddisk: WD Caviar Black 1 TB
Optical drive: Samsung 12x BD-ROM
Monitor: Samsung S27A950D (already got it)
Others: Mouse + Keyboard

While I really appreciate comments and feedbacks, please take into account that I'd like for this build to last 3 years at the bare minimum while still being able to keep up.

Thanks in advance and appreciate it.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
From what I can see everything looks compatible.

A few things for consideration:

RAM - The best "value for money" tends to be 1600MHz 1.5v CL9 (RipJaws do sell this spec RAM)

CPU - In terms of gaming the i7-2600k has very little if any at all advantage over the i5-2500k. The hyper threading technology currently only seems to be useful for video editing/rendering/encoding. Comparison here: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/287?vs=288

That being said if you plan to keep hold of this build for a long period of time the i7 might be the better option and its hyper thread advantage might begin to have more of an impact. I'll leave that decision up to you though, there's quite a price difference between them.

Motherboard - This Gigabyte board features the same specs at a cheaper price:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128498&Tpk=z68%20ud3h

PSU - 750w is a good amount for a single GTX580, it might be worth however considering a 1000w (if you can fit it into budget) which would allow you to add a second GTX580 in the future if you ever wanted to (the motherboard both you and I listed are SLI ready).

SSD - There's a few good choices currently I believe, the Crucial M4, Intel Series and Corsair Force GT are among the best for reliability.

Jkenneth

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Okay I'm guessing you're referring to:
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dekstop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

I got what you mean, but i'm thinking in a couple of years or so I'm sure the i7-2600k will start to become useful compared to i5-2500k?

Wow ok thats almost 25% cheaper, but are they equal in terms of quality? I cant judge for certain but Ive been told to go for Asus.

I'm not really sure if I'd want to do SLI, I prefer to stick with single GPU but I'll re-consider what you suggests, as long as the price difference isn't too huge.

A local shop nearby recommended me to go for Intel SSD's for stability, but I'll google up for reviews for those recommendations you've made.

Thanks for your input AdrianPerry

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
RAM - Yes thats the one i meant.

CPU - Yeah as i said before, there's potential in the future for games to make use of hyper threading and it may become more and more useful. There's a chance it could just be "ahead of its time" currently. As of right here right now though, i5-2500k is the clear choice for gaming in terms of price vs performance. In the future.....who knows!

Motherboard - ASUS, MSI and Gigabyte are all reputable manufacturers.

SSD - Yes Intel is getting alot of good reviews thanks to its reliability. OCZ seem to have had some issues with this recently.

If you dont plan to SLI, but do want to stick with ASUS - Check out the ASUS P8Z68-v LE motherboard. Its much cheaper, but of the same quality, just without SLI support.